Chapter 12

There was something that was a mystery to me... Someone had put Colin under the Imperius curse. Someone at the school, with access to the students. Perhaps a Professor? A staff member? Maybe even a fellow student?

I wanted to find out. I needed to find out.

Because I was sure that their first attempt to get me wouldn't be the last.

I showed up to dinner in the great hall and began watching everyone. The hall was filled with students from every house, all of us segregated and colour coded. Personally, I thought it was a tad much. As much pride as I liked the green and silver, it was hard not to feel like the house system was built to create cliques.

I had to admit, it was hard not to suspect my fellow Slytherins. We had a bad track record when it came to wizards seduced by the dark arts.

I scanned their faces. Malfoy and his gang were, to me, prime suspects. Malfoy sat with his little group, although he looked a little worse for wear. Next to him was Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, his loyal stooges. Pansy Parkinson and Millicent Bulstrode sat by, fawning over him. Perhaps Theodore Nott? Or Blaise Zabini? Daphne Greengrass?

I was so busy watching them that I didn't notice what was happening right above me. Before I could react, a cup of pumpkin juice poured all over me and I shrieked.

Turning, I saw Britney Duff quickly put her wand away.

Britney was a fellow Gryffindor seventh year who seemed to take a particular pleasure in picking fights with me. Most Slytherins had a rival in Gryffindor but Britney seems to have taken it a step further, ever since I came back to school after I was turned.

She sees herself as a monster slayer, and I was, evidently, her monster.

"Think that was a funny, yeah?" I said, trying to keep my temper in check.

"You looked thirsty, is all." Britney smiled.

"Oh, I'm thirsty all right. Why don't you come here and I'll tell you all about it?"

"Girls, hear that? I think there's a mosquito buzzing about. I think I ought to squish it." Britney smiled, standing up, her friends enjoying the spectacle.

"You and me, Britney. Whenever, wherever. Unless you're afraid I'll knock you on your arse."

"Typical Slytherin. All you want to do is duel. Bet you've been cooking up something real dark and nasty. Bet you were just salivating when you-know-who came back."

"I'd join his band of loser wizards about as soon as we'd be friends, Britney. Don't lump me in with them."

"Oh, are they not evil enough for you, milady? My apologies, I'm sure you'll end up in the history books as an even greater shame to Hogwarts. If you ask me, Dumbledore should just expel every Slytherin on the spot. You're all just a bunch of pure-blood worshipping dark wizards waiting to happen."

"My parents were both muggle born and I'm personally about as interested in dark arts as I am in you, Britney. And, if I remember, plenty of Gryffindor wizards went bad too."

"None as bad as you-know-who. You know that. And you're just like him. A monster, pretending to be one of us."

"I don't care what you think of me. But try that stunt again, and by Merlin's beard, I will melt your brain insider your vapid little skull and let Mrs Norris eat what's left of you."

"Try me." She said, getting in my face. I pulled my wand out and pressed it right against her neck.

"Miss Ravenway!" I heard Professor Snape's voice call out. I held Britney's gaze for a while before I put my wand away.

"Guess even monsters have masters." Britney smiled.

Professor Snape glared at me, and I went back to the dorms before he could dock points off Slytherin. I was definitely in a foul mood now.

Willow found me as she was walking to eat dinner, but I held up a hand to stop her from asking questions and went right back to the dorms. I was not in the mood, and I needed to be by myself for a minute.

So much for me becoming an ace detective.

Partway through walking back to the dorms, I did have an idea... Ebony Ravenway might not be able to observe the masses without standing out, but...

Perhaps an unassuming little bat might.

Perhaps an unassuming little bat might even be able to help me get some of my own back from Britney.

Guess it was time tofly.