Chapter 6

Ensuring that I didn't make eye contact with even a single person, even dodging Willow, I went down to the Great Hall the next morning.

You could hear the whispers as I walked past.

I could only imagine. What they were thinking of me, what colourful choice in words the student body had found to describe me. And you could be sure that Draco wasn't enduring even half of it.

In the Great Hall, I nursed a cup of pumpkin juice and tried to draw as little attention to myself as humanly possible. Perhaps it was a sight pathetic, getting so flustered over Draco Malfoy but there I was, replaying the awful moment Dumbledore's voice cut right through the moment.

Suddenly someone bumped into me and I spilt some pumpkin juice down my front.

"Did you ever master the use of your legs or are you a literal toddler?!" I shouted angrily. The Hall went quiet for a second, and there I was, having made yet another scene.

"I'm sorry." he apologized somewhat ashamedly, and scrambled around for napkins. After I regained my composure, I realized who it was, and felt even more mortified.

I had just screamed, at the top of my lungs, at Harry Potter.

"No, gods below, no. I am sorry. Potter, right? I think we've walked past each other for seven years without saying a single word." I tried to play it off coolly, but I think I spoke the sentence so fast it took Harry a second to comprehend what I'd even said.

"That's all right. It's a little embarrassing but I never did catch your name." Harry said, handing me a small stack of napkins.

"Ebony Way. You could can call me Ebb, if you want. I'm sure the school is buzzing with rumours of my misconduct."

"Hadn't paid attention to it myself." Harry said.

"That might make you the first. Look, I really am sorry I flew off at you like that. It's been... Kind of a rough day for me."

"I understand. Hey, I promise, it will blow over. One thing that's true about Hogwarts is that it never stays quiet for very long. There's always something happening. Everyone will find something new to talk about."

"And that's usually you, considering the stories."

"I'm just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot."

"Well, hope you find the timing and location improves."

"Thanks. Hope whatever's happening with you blows over soon as well. My friends are waiting for me, so I guess I'll see you around."

"See you around, Potter." I smiled.

I didn't know it at the time, but Draco had been watching me. The whole conversation with Harry, he'd stood near the back, sneering as I was friendly with the student in the school he hated the most.

Boys can be soimmature.