Chapter 21

"Willow...?" I asked, so confused. Death Eaters encircled us, and I drew my wand, not sure where to point it. Willow was unnerving still and calm. I put two and two together, and... There wasn't any point to keeping my wand up.

"Hey, Ebony." Willow said, with a sad smile on her face. Dumbledore was dead, there were Death Eaters around me and Willow was... She was in league with them.

"What's going on, Willow?" I asked, my mind racing for some explanation. I didn't want it to be true. I didn't want her to be with them. She was my friend. We were going to graduate together and take over the world.

"Forgive me. I'm going to be a bad Slytherin Sister, but... I'm doing this for us, okay? To make the world... Better. For the both of us. Don't hate me." Willow said, sadness showing.

"They killed Dumbledore, and want to do terrible things to muggles and muggle-borns alike, Willow!"

"The Dark Lord has a place for you, a plan, a purpose. A spot in his hierarchy. Where we can be together and no one will ever throw another bad word at you or me again. You and me, Ebb. Legends, serving his purpose."

"I don't... I don't understand, Willow, why would... He wants to use me! I don't want to be used! And I won't blindly swear allegiance to a fascist wizard, I won't become the monster they all say I am, Willow. I will not."

"I knew you'd react like this. This isn't what I wanted. Not for either of us. Please, please, come willingly. I don't want to have to use the Imperius curse on you. It was hard enough making Colin try to do it."

"You...? You made Colin try to curse me in The Room Of Requirement that day...?"

"Yes, yes it was. Bats, I have to say, I did not expect that."

"Guess we didn't know everything about each other."

"No, I guess we didn't."

"So what now, Willow? You'll take me, by force if necessary?"

"Please don't make this difficult. If you could just see it my way, Ebb... We could be queens."

"I've never had much love for the monarchy. More of anarchist myself."

"I suppose you are. Well, no matter. In time, you'll thank me."

"I don't think so." I said, and I exploded into a swarm of bats.

For a second it seemed my escape was going off without a hitch, and I began trying to process Willow's betrayal. But then I heard the spell, and with pinpoint accuracy, Willow landed her shot.

"Stupefy!" She yelled, and knocked me out of the sky. I collapsed on the ground, rematerializing into my normal form. I convulsed on the ground before my body went still, and the spell worked its magic.

"Willow..." I gasped.

"I've been watching, you. No, I've been studying you. There's no trick you have that I'm not aware of, Ebb. You're an open book to me. Now, please, Ebb... Don't fight me anymore. Just... Relax. Things will be good when we get there, I promise."

The Death Eaters began disapparating, and Willow walked to me.

Before she could pick me up, spells started flying her way. Willow swatted them away with her wand, agitated that anyone would dare try stop her.

My jaw almost dropped to the floor when I recognized who it was;

Britney.

"You're not taking her anywhere." Britney said, and Alice and Jess stood behind her, wands at the ready.