Chapter 19

The next day, as day turned to night, I ate dinner as fast as possible and waited to ambush Britney on her way back to the dorms. It wasn't long before I spotted her in the crowd.

"Hey, Britney?" I called out, but she hid her face from me and tried to walk by. I grabbed her by the shoulder and she pulled away, trying to walk past me.

"I just want to talk!" I yelled, a little too loudly, and the everyone in the hallway stopped. Mortified yet again, I lowered my voice and said "I just want to talk, okay? Walk with me?"

"Fine. Okay, fine just... Don't make a scene." Britney said.

Britney and I walked some, until we were in the girl's bathroom nearby. I collapsed against the far wall and sat down, and gestured for her to do the same. Britney was pretty apprehensive at first.

"I won't bite. At least not yet, anyway." I rolled my eyes.

"What did you want to talk about?" She said, crossing her arms, still standing.

"I just... Wanted to check up on you. Seems like McGonagall didn't see fit to expel you after all."

"Thanks to you, I suppose. You'll be wanting something in return, I presume?"

"For God's sake, Britney, I'm... I'm trying to reach out here. Sit down and talk to me like a person. Let's hash it out now so we don't strangle each other before graduation."

"I don't really have that much to say to you." She stuck up her nose. My temper flared up again for a second.

"Sit down before I lose my patience." I commanded. Britney's eyes went wide for a moment, but then she sat down after a bit, clearly annoyed some.

"Okay, fine, if you want to talk, talk." She said.

"You and me, we're pretty different, aren't we?" I said, looking at Britney. Brown eyes, blonde hair, pronounced cupid bow, freckles dotting her cheeks... I hadn't noticed until then quite how... Attractive Britney was. I kept that thought to myself though.

"Yeah. You're a monster, I'm a human." She muttered.

"Besides that. You had two wizard parents, I had two muggles. You come from an honourable family. My dad was an attorney and my mom was a traffic cop. Not the most beloved people in the world. You have your whole future planned, and I'm... Well, I'm a tad directionless if I had to say so myself."

"We likely did have different upbringings." Britney rolled her eyes, and I tried my best to keep myself from smacking her.

"What I'm trying to say is..." I could feel my teeth start to grind and I exhaled before I continued. "Look, I don't blame you. I wouldn't even blame you if you still hated me. Even before I was turned, we never saw eye to eye. But I guess I just wanna know why, you know? What made you the way you are? How come you're so keen on monster hunting?"

"Vampire, I have classes to study for."

"Humour me. I'm the reason you even have any classes to study for. How come you hate monsters so much, Britney? I... Want to understand you. If it's really that much of a drag, you can go but... We have a chance to make things better between us. Here and now."

"I was Attacked. By creatures."

"Oh. That sounds like it sucked. Well I guess... I dunno. Tell me about it."

"It really isn't that interesting."

"Could make all the difference."

"Ugh, okay, fine. I got separated while touching a portkey on the way to a Quiddich game my parents bought us tickets for. It was my birthday, it was supposed to be fun, it wasn't... It wasn't supposed to happen. There are things that... That just should not be. They were a kind of water demon. I believe they're called Shellycoats. Summoned perhaps by a dark wizard some time ago, perhaps it was an experiment gone wrong... I don't really know. All I know is that they were so angry, so rage-filled, so aggressive. And I was twelve. A twelve year old witch. Flung into this ravine, I swam and barely escaped. That's when they came for me. These... Things."