Chapter 13

When I was sure the crowd wasn't paying attention to me, I leapt out the window and transformed. I didn't necessarily need to turn into a swarm of bats, I could turn into a singular bat, although I was significantly more vulnerable in this form.

I started by watching the courtyard. The students all looked inconspicuous enough. Well, as inconspicuous as any Hogwarts student could. I spotted a couple scarfing down some of Weasley's puking pastels to get out of class, which may have been against the rules but wasn't inherently wrong.

I spotted Malfoy breaking off from his little friend group, which was strange. While Malfoy wasn't a particularly social animal, he did like the attention, and he did like how intimidating Crabbe and Goyle were.

I decided to follow him for some, and he walked and walked through the halls, right up until The Room Of Requirement opened for him. I slipped in behind him, while he tossed his little apple in his hand.

Draco moved through the clutter, and I found it odd that the room turned into a storage space of sorts for him. There was a black cabinet in the center he began fiddling with, putting his apple inside.

It was strange behaviour but I certainly didn't think it was particularly menacing. No, this wasn't what I was looking for. As much of a little git as Draco was, his fascination with old boxes wasn't quite the devious plot to kidnap me I was looking for.

I slipped out behind him, and flew through the castle some.

Making my way towards the ground floor, I saw Colin holding on for dear life, seemingly being held in place by a suspension charm. I circled around, and there I found Crabbe and Goyle.

The two of them were levitating Colin partway through an open window. Without Draco to reel them in, the two had nothing to do but get up to trouble. I sighed, feeling slightly annoyed to be distracted from the task at hand but it seemed like Colin needed my help once more, and I had promised him.

I rematerialized into myself and stood, watching the two, then announced my presence with a good natured ahem.

The two of them paid me no attention.

Increasingly annoyed, I used the Periculum charm and sent red sparks flying right into Crabbe's unguarded behind, and he got such a fright it broke his hold on the spell and Colin fell, luckily still holding onto the windowsill.

Crabbe and Goyle turned to me, decidedly unhappy, but I shook my head and gave them a glare. For good measure, I let my eyes turn red and snarled, showing my fangs.

The two of them took a moment to measure if a fight would be worth it, but then pushed past me with a "Whatever." and I went to pull Colin up.

"You must really get under their skin for them to target you like this." I said once he was on solid ground again. I sighed, letting my annoyance fade, and I put on a reassuring smile for Colin.

"I really don't go looking for fights! Personally I'm more of the sit-in-the-corner type."

"Oh, I believe you. Perhaps they're particularly annoyed with how little you're involved with anyone else's business. Look, I'd hate to see you get into more trouble. Let me walk you back to the Hufflepuff dorms. Wasn't really finding what I was looking for anyway." I smiled.

"Oh, thanks. And, uh, thanks for, you know, scaring those two off."

"You're welcome, Colin." I smiled.

Walking the halls to the Hufflepuff dorms was pleasant. Colin might be a tad meek but he's still good company. It felt strange, like... Well, like I'd finally made another friend.