Chapter 9

Lifting Colin with Wingardium Leviosa, I entered Dumbledore's office, without knocking. He was standing in front of the pensieve, looking pensive, and Professor McGonagall was leaning against his desk, quietly waiting for him to finish what he was doing.

"Headmaster. Professor McGonagall." I greeted, putting Colin down in front of them. Dumbledore remained in place, while Professor McGonagall stayed in place, horrified.

"What is the meaning of this?" Professor McGonagall inquired.

"Professor, we have a problem. Colin was under the influence of the Imperius curse, and he was instructed by The Dark Lord to attempt to manipulate me into allowing Death Eaters into the castle" I answered.

"I see." Dumbledore said, still gazing into the pensieve.

"Dumbledore, these attacks, the politics... The situation is unstable and the Death Eaters are becoming more audacious. Every year we've put out fire after fire but The Ministry might actually close us down if students keep getting put through unforgiveable curses."

"That much I understand, Minerva. But there are matters of greater import now. There's a memory here- one of a young Tom Riddle- that has been tampered with. This could be the key to turning the tide on this brewing war."

"Forgive me speaking out of turn, but your convoluted schemes never seem to benefit anyone in the here and now, and your apathy towards the day-to-day politics does not benefit your students or staff! You are a headmaster of Hogwarts, and Merlin's Beard, you spend most of your time shut away scheming!"

"It seems it is I who must ask your forgiveness, Minerva. You are quite right. Young lady, explain in detail what happened." Dumbledore said, and turned to me.

"I had wandered into the Room of Requirement, and saw Colin there, with a glassy look in his eye. He pulled the tarp off a mirror and the dark lord's face was on the other side. Colin had been instructed to try subdue me and put me under the Imperius curse, but I was able to get away by transforming."

"Well done. Minerva, escort the young lady to her bed."

"Headmaster? I can help." I blurted out.

"I'm afraid, my dear, that your help is exactly what the enemy is after. I hope I needn't say this, but refrain from leaving the castle grounds for the time being. Lives could be a stake."

"Yes, headmaster." I said, somewhat dejected.

"Dumbledore... What are we going to do about this?" Professor McGonagall asked, pointing me towards the door.

"For now, I will send the ghosts to the outskirts and have them patrol. The Bloody Baron can take point. I hope we can solve this without getting dementors involved but if not, I shall write to Azkaban and request a squadron."

"And the students?"

"I can only hope they are prepared for what is to come."