Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Twice Academy. One of the most prestigious high schools in Japan, it is the top choice of Japan's elite families to send their children for schooling. Although Twice Academy was historically a place where the next generation of Japan's wealthiest could get to know one another, a few years ago, one of the fantastically rich benefactors of the school became bored enough to anonymously start a scholarship foundation for those "poor, poverty-stricken" students whose families did not have important business/political connections, rake in six-figure salaries, or both.

One of the afore-mentioned "poor, poverty-stricken" students is a young girl, seventeen years old, with short black hair that looks like it was styled by a blind man, and intense light brown eyes hidden behind a pair of thick-rimmed glasses. Pretty enough, to be sure, but it's hard to tell behind the thick bangs, glasses, and light spattering of acne (poor kid, puberty's been hard on her). Combined with her excellent academic record—essential for the Mysterious Bored Rich Man's Scholarship Fund—and her lack of money, luck, friends, social skills, et cetera et cetera, this kid is easy prey for fantastically rich, extremely bored teenagers. Called the residential nerd of Twice Academy (which is actually one of the nicer nicknames her peers have for her), Son Chaeyoung, in short, despises high school.

One of the fantastically rich, extremely bored teenagers at Twice Academy is another young girl, seventeen years old, with luscious Dark hazel brown hair and beautiful Deep brown eyes. Drop-dead gorgeous with a body to die for, her name is Myōi Mira, the eldest daughter of the Myōi family, whose members have both political connections and six-figure salaries. Alas, if only her personality was as fair as her face. Myōi Mira is undoubtedly the most beautiful girl at Twice Academy, not to mention that she has a really attractive accent. Such beauty and family connections are undeniable assets: whenever Mira abuses her Student Council President privileges, the administration always looks the other way. She has everyone wrapped around her little finger, including one hapless Son Chaeyoung. Every snide comment that drops from Mira's mouth is considered a pearl, or a diamond, or an emerald—you get the point—by our naïve Chaeyoung.

As Chaeyoung will soon learn, being a sucker for a pretty face is a surefire way of getting sucker punched in the gut.

"Mira! You look amazing in this picture!"

Chaeyoung, who had been studiously observing her shoes as she walked, immediately looked up at the sound of her (not so) secret love's title.

There, at the end of the hallway, stood Venus incarnate, otherwise known as Myōi Mira surrounded by a huge group of her fangirls. One of them was showing Mira a fashion magazine.

Mira haughtily sniffed and turned the page. "Oh, that disgusting picture? I much prefer this one."

Amidst the awed gasps, no one heard the residential nerd of Twice creep closer to the edge of the crowd and peek over one fangirl's shoulder to look at the magazine.

Chaeyoung's eyes widened behind her glasses. That was one fine picture of Mira  in a sinfully short dress!

"Yes, it was an exclusive photo-shoot done for Vogue Hommes Japan," Mira's voice rose above the awed murmurs. "I didn't think I was pretty enough for it, but the editor—a good friend of Papa's—insisted that I had to do one, saying that it would be a waste if I didn't. How could I say no to that?"

"Mira you're too modest! Don't ever doubt your beauty!"

Chaeyoung winced as the girls around her screamed their agreement. She cringed even more when the fangirl whose shoulder she'd been looking over noticed her presence. "What the—hey, it's Nerd Princess What the hell are you doing here? Don't you have anything better to do than just stalking Mira?"