Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Chaeyoung slumped down on her couch, watching some insane talk show. There was never much to do at noon on a Friday. Yuri had given her a day off; at first it seemed like a blessing, but now that Chaeyoung was close to dying of boredom, it was obviously more like a curse.

If she had her motorcycle, she'd be cruising around Tokyo right now, but nooooo, the stupid battery had to be replaced. Cruising around in Jihyo's old car just wasn't the same.

Chaeyoung's cell chose that moment to ring. Chaeyoung happily accepted the call at seeing it was Mina . "Shouldn't you be in class right now?"

"Being the Student Council President has its privileges. What is Chaeyoung doing right now?"

"Nothing much, why?"

"How does Chaeyoung feel like taking a little excursion?"

Chaeyoung grinned. Mina always had roundabout ways of asking to hang out. "What do you have in mind?"

"Mira's car broke down on the highway. Can you pick her up?"

Chaeyoung suddenly jerked up, bumping her knee against the coffee table. "Fuck!"

"Is that a yes?"

"Absolutely not, Mina!"

"I know you don't like her—"

"Try undisputed loathing—"

"—but since I'm in school right now, you're the only one who can pick her up."

"Why don't you call Mr. I'm-Better-Than-Everyone-Else Kizan? I'm sure having a fiancé comes with some perks. Hell, even if it doesn't, she can call a freaking taxi!"

"Ayato's in a business meeting, my parents are out of town again, and Mira has an irrational fear that she'll get kidnapped by the taxi driver."

"You're right, that is an irrational fear. Who would want to kidnap her?"

"Chaeyoung, do it for me? She won't stop calling me; I nearly had my phone confiscated!"

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. "So I'm the one getting thrown under the bus?"

"Better you than me?"

"Fantastic." Chaeyoung sighed in frustration. "Alright, where is she?"

She internally cursed her inability to say no to Mina. Suckered again.

_____

Chaeyoung came to a stop in front of an angry dark blonde screaming at a flustered man looking underneath the hood of an expensive-looking car. She sighed and got out of Jihyo's junk car.

Mira's  back was turned to her as she yelled at her poor driver. "Do you realize how late you've made me, you imbecile? Give me one reason I shouldn't fire you right now—"

"How about 'it's not his fault?'" Chaeyoung interrupted dryly. Mira's  whirled around, her angry expression quickly morphing into a more pleasant one at seeing Chaeyoung.

"Well, if it isn't my baby sister's girl." Mira licked her lips in a decidedly predatory way. "You have no idea how glad I am that you came."

"And you have no idea how much I'm not," Chaeyoung grumbled under her breath. Leave it to Mira to single-handedly cause a traffic jam by breaking down in the middle of a highway, though the woman seemed unperturbed by the belligerent honking behind her.

"What was that?"

"Just talking to myself," Chaeyoung waved her off. She coughed at the amount of smoke that billowed out. "That looks pretty bad." The elderly driver shrugged helplessly.