Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Chaeyoung landed in an undignified heap on the floor, frozen in fear as she heard Maria stomp around outside. Her heart threatened to pound right out of her chest as she tried to control her panting, ears straining to listen to the argument Mira  and Maria were having below. Their voices grew more and more inaudible as they presumably walked away until finally, there was silence. Only then did Chaeyoung look up to see Mina's  very pissed off countenance.

"Uh, hi."

"How did you get in here?" Mina  said sharply, glancing over her shoulder to make sure the door was shut.

Chaeyoung got up and patted down her rumpled clothing. "I climbed the trellis. Which, side note, is probably really dangerous to have by your window, you should keep it locked—"

"You climbed what?" Anger turned into concern as Mina  grabbed Chaeyoung's shoulders and scanned her for injuries. "Are you crazy? What if you broke something?"

"Don't worry, the trellis is fine and so are the roses."

"I meant like your neck!"

Chaeyoung brightened. "That's what I said!" She caught Mina's hands as Mina ran them over her sides in an attempt to check for broken ribs. "Hi," Chaeyoung said again with a hesitant smile.

Mina  immediately scowled and drew her hands out of Chaeyoung's  grasp. "What part of 'I never want to see you again' don't you understand, Chaeyoung?"

"See, I kind of have an issue with the 'never' part," Chaeyoung said quietly.

"And I kind of have an issue with the 'you've been lying to me since we met' part," Mina snapped back.

"Okay, I deserved that." Chaeyoung nodded to herself. "But can we please discuss this calmly—"

"Oh, I'm calm," Mina  cut her off. "For someone who just found out that she was being used in a plot to ruin her sister and that everything about her girlfriend was a lie, I am the picture of tranquility!"

Chaeyoung winced at the level of anger in Mina's  voice. "It was never about you, I swear, it was supposed to be against Mira .."

Mina shook her head in disgust. "And you involved me, used me, to get back at my sister. What did I ever do to deserve that, Chaeyoung ?"

Chaeyoung deflated. "Nothing. You didn't do anything, it was all me. Mina, please, I'm so sorry—"

"Yeah, you are," Mina  agreed scornfully. "Did you even think your plan through? You would've suffered from the fallout as much as the rest of us, if not more. What did you expect to happen after you shot yourself in the foot?"

"Mina , It could've been the most successful plan in the world and I would still regret it so, so much. I was wrong, I was an asshole to think I could even do this to you. I knew it was wrong before we started dating and every second I spent with you proved it to me."

Mina's  jaw dropped. "You still think you can refer to what we had as 'dating'? Tell me, how exactly you were going to expose our dating to everyone, Chaeyoung? Were you going to announce it in class? Go to the tabloids and sell the story to the highest bidder? Were you going to let me find out at the same time as everyone else that you were just using me?"

"No! I wasn't going to go through with it! I was going to tell you, I swear," Chaeyoung pleaded.

"But you didn't!"

"I was scared!"

"Of what?" Mina  demanded, no longer bothering to keep her voice down.

"Of losing you!" Chaeyoung said, her voice rising in volume to match Mina's