Chapter 8

As I wake up, I look around and see what time it is. 3:30AM? Really? I sigh and go to the bathroom. I take a shower and brush my teeth. I go to my closet with a towel wrapped around me. I find a black dress.

 I dry off and slip the dress on

I dry off and slip the dress on. I dry my hair and brush it out. I look at the clock. 6:40AM. I walk out of my bedroom and go to my kitchen. I grab an apple and snack on it. I look around for something to do. There's nothing. I've cleaned, swept, did laundry. There's nothing else to do. I shrug and go outside and sit on the small swing on my front porch. I let the wind slowly swing me. I throw the apple off the side of the porch and close my eyes.

After what seems like a few minutes, I hear a car pull up. I open my eyes and see Travis get out in a black suit. I stand up and go hug him. "How are you holding up?" He asks in a soft voice. "I'm fine." I say knowing good and well that I'm not fine. He nods and I walk back to the house. "I need to get some shoes. I'll be back." I say as I walk in.

I put on my black boots and grab my phone, keys, and wallet. I lock my door and shut it behind me. I get in the passenger seat of the car and Travis gets in the drivers seat.

We sit in silence as we drive to the church where the viewings will be. Once we pull into the parking lot, I freeze. If I enter that church, It'll bring back memories that I don't want. "You okay?" Travis asks. "This is where we had my Dad's funeral. I don't think I can go in there." I say.

"It'll be okay. If you don't want to go, we don't have to." Travis says. I sigh and unbuckle my seat belt. Travis follows my lead and unbuckles his too. We get out and walk up to the doors. "Remember, If it becomes to much, just tell me and we'll leave." Travis says. I nod and we walk in.

As soon as I see the room, I remember my Dad's resting face. I remember the full room of people crying and mourning his death. I remember everyone giving me the saddest looks I've ever seen. I remember the the ' I'm sorry for you're loses ' I had to hear. I remember the night I went home, I mourned and fell into deep depression. I remember my Aunt Kate's face when she'd tell me to try to get me to eat something.

I remember all the pain I went through, all the depression, suicidal thoughts, screaming, anger, sadness, and most of all, I remember the pain I felt know that I would never see my Dad's face again. "Kayla?" Travis asks, pulling me away from my memories and wiping a tear from my face.

I look up at him and nod, signaling that I'm okay. We walk up to the front of the church and I see Anne with her brother, Matt. I go up to them and hug Anne. "It's okay." I say in Anne's ear. She nods and wipes her tears. "Hey Matt." I say once I break mine and Anne's hug. "Hey Kayla." He says.

Music starts playing and Travis and I shuffle to our seats. Once we sit down, a preacher comes onto the stage and starts talking. I look down at my lap and bite my lip, trying not to cry anymore than I am. Travis' arm wraps around my shoulders and I look up at him. He kisses my forehead and we turn to face the preacher.

As the soft, sad music plays, I can hear people crying and sobbing. My breaths become heavier, as the sounds of these people make me remember the night my father was laid in the ground. I look down at my lap and squeeze my eyes shut with my breaths becoming heavier.

Travis notices and brings me into a comforting hug. It calm's me enough, to where I can breathe normally again. "Do you wanna get some air?" Travis whispers in my ear. I nod and we stand up and quietly walk out of the church. As soon as we step out, the tears flow. Travis pulls me into a hug. "It's okay. Calm down." He mumbles. My breathes become even again and the tears stop falling.

"Everything came back to me from the night - He was - in and we - I - Me and Kate." I get jumbled up with my words. "Shhhh... I know, I know." Travis says comfortingly. "I'm gonna call Kate. You can go back if you want." I say to Travis. He nods. "I'll go let Anne know where you are." Travis says.

I walk out to the car while Travis walks in the church. I get to the car and get my phone and sit in the passengers seat. I dial Kate's phone number. It rings and goes to voicemail. I call again, hoping she just isn't around her phone. It goes to voicemail. "Hey. It's Kayla. I don't know why you're not answering, but I need you right now. Please call me back." I say and hang up.

I sit in the car for a few more minutes before getting up and walking back up to the church. As I walk in the doors, men are loading the casket in the truck and Travis is talking to Anne and Matt. I walk over to them.

"Did you talk to her?" Travis asks. "She didn't answer.." I say. "She'll call back." Travis says. "Do y'all want to go get food?" Matt asks. "Yeah, we can go to the cafe." Anne says while wiping some tears. "Sounds good." I say.