Chapter 11

I snap my head to where the sound is coming from and my aunt's heart monitor is flat lining. I see Travis run out of the room and I jump up and ignore the pain in my leg. I run over to Aunt Kate and put my hands on her shoulders. "KATE! KATE  I CAN'T LOSE YOU!" I cry. Doctors run in and take her away from me and they have to hold me back to keep me from going after her. "Hun, I need you to sit down. You don't want to hurt you're leg anymore." One of the nurses says. Travis walks in the room and walks over to me. "Look at me." He says firmly. I look at him and he grabs my hands and makes me lay down in the bed. The nurses leave and it's just me and him. "Calm down. No matter what happens, It'll be okay." He says. He leans over the bed and hugs me. I cry into his shirt and he brushes my hair with his hands. After a while, I finally calm down. "She's the only family I have left. I can't lose her...." I say. "I know." Travis says. "This is why I try not to get close to anyone." I say. "Everyone's gonna die. It might happen sooner than planned but that's why you make memories you won't forget. Memories that'll never die." Travis says. 

Before I have time to reply, a doctor comes in with 2 nurses. "Okay. Good news is you can go home tomorrow." The doctor says. "Bad news?" I ask. "Well, Kate's lungs and kidneys are failing. Faster than normal. Even if we tried to replace them now, they'd still fail. I'm sorry, but I don't think she will walk out of this hospital alive...." The doctor says. After that my mind goes blank and I stare down at my hands. I block out the conversation that the doctor is having with Travis. I feel Travis' broad arms wrapping around me. Soon I come back to reality. "So she can see her but it's not that pretty." The doctor says. "Give her one of my kidneys..." I mumble. "Sorry?" The doctor says. "Give her one of my kidneys." I say louder. His shoulders slump. "Honey, that wouldn't help. Her body isn't able to function." The doctor says. "Well, you've got to do something...." I almost whisper. "I'll leave you alone to discuss the options." The doctor says. He and the nurses walk out. "Do you want to see her again?" Travis asks. "Yeah... She-she can't d-die.. I need h-her." I say through the tears. "I know. I'll be here for you." Travis says. I nod. "So what do you want to do with the ventilator?" Travis asks. My eyes water. "I don't want her to suffer..." I say. He nods. After a few minutes, the doctor comes back in. "So do we know what we're doing yet?" He asks. "She wants to see her and then cut the ventilator." Travis says. "Okay. We can do that." The doctor says. Some nurses start rolling me to a room. We enter the ER room and go to the 2nd door. Once we enter I see Kate strapped to tons of things and different machines. I lean over on my side and kiss her hand. "I love you. Th-thank you f-for eve-everything." I say as I choke on my tears. "We should go...." Travis mumbles as nurses and doctors enter the room. I look away from Aunt Kate and Travis and a few nurses roll my bed away. As soon as we get back to the room I uncontrollably cry for what seems like hours, before I fall asleep...