paul

Karmen
1969
҂

"Are you sure Paul?" The blonde asked nervously as, an excited looking, Paul dragged her up the  narrow stairs. "You have to meet her at some point, why not now?" he teased.

"We've only been together three months and you want me to meet your daughter..." she trailed off.

Karmen was not in anyway ready to meet the daughter of his past marriage. She didn't want to mess it up or say something silly, and she most certainly didn't want to seem like she was replacing the kid's real mum. But Paul thought now was the perfect time, Mary had just learned to crawl and was able to babble and laugh at the things she liked, and he didn't want to leave it too late - he wanted them to get on.

"We've been together three months" he paused as he opened the door "But i already know we'll be together forever-more" he winked and Karmen laughed at his cheesy-nest as he led her through to the livingroom.

"I'll go get Mary, i wont be a minute" he promised before he disappeared down the hall.

Karmen perched on the sofa fidgeting nervously with her hand. She wasn't sure why it's not like little one year old Mary was going to insult her or make fun of her and Paul's age difference, like the rest of his family did. She just wanted atleast one relative to like her.

"Get it then, darling!" Paul's voice was heard and she could see his body through the crack in the door, holding up a small figure that was currently trying to reach the lamp shade. "Will we go meet Karmen, deary?" he asked before kissing her cheek repetatively, she squealed, just like Karmen would whenever she felt Paul's beard scratching against her cheek.

Mary fell silent as she looked at Karmen from the door, Paul had the girl over his shoulder as he entered, and carried her over slowly.

"Say hello then, darling" Paul teased his girlfriend as she awkwardly sat in silence. "Hello Mary" Karmen waved as the pair sat down next to her.

"Say hiya Karmsy" Paul said a baby voice as he waved Mary's hand. The baby's hand was mindlessly playing with the end of Karmen's knitted jumper and the womens hand moved over slowly so her thumb was brushing over the baby's small hand.

The bell was heard ringing in the distance, and Paul shifted awkwardly "can you?" he asked lifting Mary over to the women's lap.

The little girl's soft onesie rubbed against Karmen's bare arms as she stood in the women's lap.

Mary squealed showing a gummy smile as she pulled on the women's hair, "mmamamamamam" she bleathered to the women and Karmen answered "That's sounds great" she said dramatically making Mary laugh again, "dadadada" she screamed and Karmen gasped "I love your daddy too!" she cheered.

A chuckle was heard from behind before Paul appeared and wrapped his arms around the pair.

"My favourite girls" he whispered kissing the side of Karmen's head but the women was preoccupied as she played with the baby.