Popcorn

Sometimes Steve found it boggling how he was an art student.

After popping maybe... give or take three dozen bags of popped corn and pouring them into one bowl, Steve realized the gravity of deciding to make a popcorn resin statue and have it all carved out and set in the span of two days.

"Couldn't have done somethin' simple," Bucky murmured, casually reading, spread out on Steve's dorm couch. "Like carved meat."

"There's no challenge in that." Steve rubbed the bridge of his nose, eyes beginning to ache. He'd need to switch his contacts for glasses before he set to work. "Don't you have a paper to write?"

Bucky flipped a page casually. "Already done, just waiting for 'Tasha to proofread it, which could take a while."

Steve snorted and stepped into their bathroom to change into his glasses. Bucky eyed him leave, folded his book closed and sat himself up. "Need any help?"

"Nah, I should be fine," he sighed, fixing the glasses firmly into place. "You staying in tonight?"

Bucky often disappeared to attend whatever party with whatever girl of the night -- naturally a people pleaser, Bucky went out with others and sometimes chaperoned around the university; he was a gentleman, after all.

Bucky shook his head. "I'll stay in with you," he mused. "Looks like you'll need someone reminding you to eat for the next couple hours."

Steve smiled at that and got to work, examining the popcorn and how he was going to begin his task. "Thanks, Buck."

////

Two hours later and he'd poured the resin with gold leaf into the wide canister; the plan was to take that block of resin and sand it, painstakingly chip away at it until it resembled a statue of some vague form, take a photo and then bring it to his professor within due time.

"Okay," he puffed as he squinted at the shape. Bucky yawned and eyed him. "Gotta let that set for a couple hours."

"Perfect." Bucky stood, stretched, reached a hand toward him. "C'mon, let's get some food in you."

Steve grabbed his hand and pulled himself up, with a small smile. Bucky dragged him out into the brisk sunny day. Knowing he was noticeably stressed, Bucky wouldn't leave his side until he had food in his system and the smile on his face was no longer forced.

////

Steve thought over his coffee and Bucky nudged his plate, prompting Steve to actually pick up his sandwich and take a bite before going back to work, running solely on coffee and inspiration.

Bucky loved Steve's drive for perfection in his craft, but also worried when he didn't take proper care of himself. Because Bucky loved him, he would be there to provide whatever care he could -- they were friends, after all.

"So? Going according to plan?" Bucky brought up, bringing Steve's attention from his abandoned coffee to him. Steve smiled -- tiredly, but a smile nonetheless -- and launched into an explanation on how it was all going to work.

"I'm not boring you, am I?" Steve double-checked, furrowing his brows. Bucky waved his concerns off dismissively.

"I love to hear it," he said with a grin over the rim of his coffee mug. "Go on."

Steve grinned at that and kept talking. Bucky loved the way his eyes lit up when he rattled on and on about art and colour theory and just why sculpting was considered a craft and what he loved about it.

Once Steve was noticeably in a better mood and once again hopped up on caffeine (since he was considerably smaller it affected him a little different than it did Bucky), they headed back to their tiny dorm and got back to work.

////

Hours later Steve was in the middle of carving; cheeks red, eyes narrowed as he scraped away at the hardened resin that proved to be tougher than he'd originally thought. The popcorn would look great, showing through the shining, glittering clear resin, and that's what Steve had to keep reminding himself.

When he began to nod off mid task, he lay down his chisel and glanced at the time, rubbing his sore eyes -- it was nearing 9:00 pm, but he continued to work. That is, until he fell asleep then and there, surrounded by resin shavings, glasses nearly fallen off his face.

Bucky left his room to see that and sighed, draped a blanket around his shoulders, wrapped him up into a Steve-rito and placed him on the couch. At the movement Steve looked blearily up at him before quickly falling asleep again, and Bucky felt a strange rush of affection for him and simply brushed it off.

////

There stood a small statue, carefully polished and carved to perfection, and Steve wiped his brow. "Okay," he breathed. "Think Thatchet will be all right with this?"

"It looks incredible, Steve," Bucky promised. "Real Davinci vibes."

Steve scoffed but his smile said he was pleased. "I mean, not really at all, but thank you." He scratched the back of his neck. "Would you help me carry it to class when the time comes? It's larger than I thought it would be... "

"'Course, Rogers, what d'you take me for?"

Steve got an A- for creativity and was immensely thankful for Bucky's assistance.

////

This one had me a little stumped but I kinda liked the vibe of it :)