Chapter 4. Change of plans

"Celia did you manage to clean your dress?" Her mother asked, just as Celia turned around. But Diane, her mother, could clearly see that the wine stain was still there. She smiled at her daughter, which surprised the latter, as her mother din not smile at her, even when the house was spotless.

"Ohhh, you. Look how careless you were. This spot is impossible to remove." She sighed and continued. "Well there is no way around it, I guess. I will call your brother, and tell him to take you home. You cannot walk around in this dress!"

Celia was truly surprised, her mother did not even suggest changing her clothes and coming back, although the ball was not even halfway finished. But she did not question it further. It was what she wanted also.

"Alright, I will wait for him in front of the yard." She affirmed unbothered.

"No! I think it's better to go wait by his car. What if someone sees you like this?!" Diane quickly said.

"Alright!" Celia immediately agreed, and directly walked away. She did not think it was that big of a deal, it was only a pinkish violet hue that remained spotted on the fabric as the dress dried. Blending a little with the flowers that decorated it, the dress did not look so awful that she had to hide, but if her mother felt embarrassed, then she would listen to her.

Arriving to the parking lot, her brother was also dumfounded that she was going home. In the past, his mother would have insisted for her to return because it would be disrespectful for them not to participate. Not to mention, it would be a pity if his sister did not find her mate.

"Are you sure you do not want to change, and return with me? What if you could find your mate tonight?" He asked, making sure she truly did not want to come back. It wasn't a problem for him to drive.

"Just walking around inside the ballroom, he should have found me by now by smell alone. Perhaps, he was not present. There is always next year." She replied certain of her reasons.

Because of her resolute answer, he no longer insisted. His sister knew he was not only asking politely. Well, she was a withdrawn person and did not like the crowd, so it was no wonder she refused to return to the ball.

The following morning, as always she set the breakfast table just as the members of her family descended the stairs.

They ate in silence, which was weird, not even one of the four people at the table had anything to recount from last night?

Even if she did not find a mate at the ball, her sister should have, she thought.

Her mother had been so certain of the future connection between the young alpha of their pack and Brianna, so she should be the mate of the Alpha, the Luna, by now. So why wasn't anyone saying anything? Brianna's shift age was perfect for her to become a Luna.

Perhaps, she was just the mate of another alpha, and so she did not find him last night?

She was interested about knowing what happened to her sister the previous night, but she knew that if something did happen, her sister would be jumping up and down by now and would have told her a million times about it already. But her sister was standing properly eating her breakfast, and she was not one to pry. She also did not want to hurt her sister's feelings by asking her.

As they finished eating breakfast, Celia rose from her chair and started to remove the plates with leftovers, to clean the table. But just as she was about to start cleaning, she was stopped by her mother who appeared to have something to inform her of.

"Celia, I have been thinking about what you told me some time ago. You know, about the training for the watcher initiation. And I feel that you are right." Diane sighed apologetic, her face full of regret.