Chapter 21. Unbearable pain

"Knock, Knock!"

Gabriel knocked on the conference room's door at the Royal Hospital. He more or less had suspected he would be called. In the attack some hours ago, a girl he had written down in the documents as being 3rd rank, managed to withstand the effects of two spells, annihilate an entire group of armed to the teeth hunters and survive multiple wolfsbane bullets. Even if she was struggling to stay alive at the moment, it was a feat surpassing her rank by many folds.

If he would be in the exact same situation, he doubted he would have remained alive. A wolf's power relied more on pack fights, some did the diversion, some did the attacking and others coordinated and directed the flow of the battle. As part of the team of investigators and as a teacher, he had already interrogated the students that were at the scene.

He was informed just how fast and strong she was. Even after taking 7 bullets, which made the hunters believe she had died, she regained her consciousness and attacked more fiercely than before and stronger too. In a matter of minutes she had manage to dismember and kill most of the hunters at the location, only missing two who had lost consciousness and one that had ran away seeing the others slaughtered.

What it meant was that she did a pack's strategy all by herself. The diversion, the attacking and coordination that would be shared in an attack was done by a sole werewolf. Her fierceness felt like a déjà vu, like he already saw such strong ruthless attacks before.

"Come in!" A strong and authoritative voice commanded. The person who made him have such a déjà vu feeling called him inside.

That's right... he thought. The familiar savage attacks were none other than his highness's specialty. He almost forgot, as it had already been several decades ago the last time he saw him in battle.

He sighed and opened the door. Now he had to figure out how he should tell his highness what he knew of Celia, preferably without being killed. The command of Celia to hide her rank was still in effect, he could not say it straight to Salas what her rank was. Salas must ask him the right question and he also had to use his alpha voice. Otherwise he would have to lie and it would only lead him to more troubles.

"Gabriel, what is Miss Blair's real rank and why have you hidden it in the documents? Speak truthfully or be prepared for an adequate punishment."

Of course he would not have a chance for some greetings, just bring him directly to the root of the problems, thought Gabriel.

"What do you mean your Highness? What is the problem with her ranking?" He could not say it directly, but the only obvious solution at the moment was to use his friend's short temper. If he played dumb and redirect the questions back to him, then perhaps Salas would use his alpha voice.

He would have to play a little more at being dumb, ask him some more until Salas would question him directly. He was his friend after all, he had never used his alpha voice on him, but in the end he would.

"Tell me her rank now!" Shouted Salas using the voice Gabriel hoped he would use, just not that fast.

Gabriel looked aggrieved for half a second. Really now friends for decades, never used his alpha voice on him, he would probably use it after some more questions? What a joke. He pondered.

For Celia he used his alpha voice only after the first two questions, which were said one after another, so more like one question?

He would have to reevaluate his friendship. He suspected that Salas's mate was most likely Celia. Afterwards he thought that perhaps she might not be, but just felt attracted to her, because for the last couple of months they had not interacted in the slightest.