Prologue

A rose was sitting peacefully in the ground

The only living thing near it was Ruby Rose, a young, little girl. She was sitting nearby, looking up into the clouds.

The clouds seemed to be the only thing that kept her positive after her mother, Summer Rose, had died.

Ruby and her mother had been very close before she passed away. If she didn't spend time with her half-sister Yang Xiao Long or her father Taiyang Xiao Long, she'd be spending time with Summer. And she would spend hours with her, at least, whenever she wasn't out doing huntress things.

Summer was the one who loved and understood her the most. She wanted to spend every moment with her, and wanted to dedicate everything to make her happy. Ruby's smile and innocence gave Summer the best feeling in the world, and it always made her happy to see her laugh.

But then, one day, she was just gone. She left to go on a mission, and she never came back. Ruby noticed it. She'd learned to count the days Summer would be gone on a mission. It was usually four-six days. Summer had been gone for eight when Ruby started to notice.

On the eleventh day, Ruby was informed of Summer's disappearance and supposed death, and was immediately heartbroken.

She'd spent weeks without her mother. She'd lost her usual optimism, and though she still had her childlike innocence, she wasn't as happy as she used to be. She'd spend most of her time going to this park, and looking into the clouds, thinking back to her mother. Her white cloak, her red, faded hair, her silver eyes, and the sweet sound of her voice. She'd stare into the sky, and think about her mother, longing to see her face and hear her voice one more time.