It Wasn't Your Fault

Lieutenant Yoshida walked into his office, where Ruby and Pikachu were sitting. Pikachu still didn't have his hat on.

"I thought you couldn't wait to get home," he said.

"Yeah," Ruby said. "Well, my plans changed because I found him." She pointed to Pikachu.

Yoshida looked at Pikachu for a second. "Is that (Y/N)'s pet Grimm? I'm not following."

"(Y/N)'s not dead," Ruby said, smiling. "If his Grimm partner is still alive, that means he is, too."

"That is not proof, Ruby," Yoshida said.

"Tell him about the chemical R," Pikachu said.

"Give me a minute," Ruby said, standing up. "(Y/N)'s last case has to do with those underground battles. That's why I was there. There's a chemical."

"We ran an investigation," Yoshida said.

"(Y/N) figured it out and he's in trouble!" Ruby said.

"That case is closed!" Yoshida tried to shout over her. "Over!"

"You gotta reopen the investigation!" Ruby yelled. "He's out there I can feel it!"

"In your jellies," Pikachu said, climbing onto Yoshida's desk. "Go ahead, say it."

"I'm not gonna say that!" she whispered to him. "I can feel it, Lieutenant, in my... bones."

"Not as good," Pikachu said.

"Stop!" Ruby said.

Yoshida looked at her, confused as to why she was talking to Pikachu.

"Oh, yeah," Ruby continued. "And I can understand Pikachu, like, word perfect, so..."

Yoshida stayed silent for a moment, leaning over his desk. "Ruby. It's very difficult coping with loss. Denial can be a powerful thing."

Ruby was angry. "NO!" she screamed, slamming her fists on the desk. "I'M NOT IN DENIAL! I'M RIGHT! I KNOW IT! He's... he's out there!" She started tearing up. "And I can't... I can't just leave him..."

Pikachu looked up at her. He didn't like seeing her like that.

"I never wanted to show you this," Yoshida said, "but I think it's important you see it."

He grabbed a remote, and turned on the TV. Ruby and Pikachu turned to it and watched.

They saw (Y/N)'s vehicle driving down the road to the bridge, before an explosion went off underneath it, and it was sent flying off the bridge.

Ruby gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. Pikachu's jaw dropped. He couldn't believe it!

"No one could survive a crash like that," Yoshida said. "Not even (Y/N)."

"No..." Ruby whispered, tears dripping down her cheeks.

Yoshida looked at her. "He's gone, Ruby."

Flashback entered Ruby's head. Flashbacks of that field they'd go to every day. Flashbacks of their first kiss. And the flashback of her last conversation with him, which broke her heart the most.

The day she'd yelled at him on the phone.

Hours later, Ruby sat by a fountain, with Pikachu sitting next to her.

She was tearing up, but, once again, trying not to break down crying.

Pikachu looked up at her. He felt guilty. He'd given her false hope. He'd told her that he was absolutely certain he was right, and that her boyfriend was out there somewhere. And that false hope led to an even more devastating discovery when she'd seen that video. For once in his life, at least as far as he could remember, he wished he hadn't listened to his jellies.

"I should've gotten on that ship," Ruby said.

"What's that, kid?" Pikachu asked.

"We had different career paths," Ruby explained, choking up. "He wanted to be a detective. I wanted to be a huntress. We drifted apart. He moved here and poured himself into his work. And eventually he tried to get me to come with him, but... I wouldn't go."

"How come?" Pikachu asked.

Ruby was starting to break down. "I-I didn't think he c-cared. I-I guess I just got used to h-him... not being a-around and... I-I couldn't forgive h-him... f-for it. U-Until I got here. A-And... I r-realized that he d-did care. B-But... I-I didn't know..." At this point she was sobbing, "b-because I-I never g-gave him the c-chance. A-And now... i-it's t-too late... I really... I r-really wish I'd g-gotten on that s-ship."

Ruby melted at this point, crying into her hands. She loved him, and the last thing she did to him was push him away! And he loved her! He loved her more than anything.

Pikachu placed his hand on her lap. "It's okay," he reassured. "Listen, kid. Um... Look, I may not have memories, um, but I know this much. It wasn't your fault."

Ruby looked at him, and started to calm down.

"It wasn't anybody's fault," Pikachu continued. "And I'm sure that if (Y/N) was here, he would hug you so hard, your bones would pop. He'd kiss you until you melted. And he'd tell you he's sorry for everything. He'd be really happy for you, kid."

Ruby smiled. "I haven't been the nicest person in the world, have I?"

"No, you really haven't."

Ruby wiped away her tears. "Well..." She pulled Pikachu's detective hat out of her pocket. "We still got one mystery to solve."

"What?" Pikachu asked.

"Yours." She put the hat on his head. "Let's find out who did this to you. Get your memory back."

"I'd like that," Pikachu said, smiling at her. "I'd like that very much."

Ruby started to blush. She turned away from Pikachu to hide it. He just seemed to remind her of (Y/N) in every way, and maybe that was a good thing at this point.

She looked at the road, and saw a black truck pull up by them.

"Well, that's a bad-guy car," Pikachu said.

The blonde haired woman with sunglasses from the arena stepped out of the vehicle, and motioned for them to enter the car.

They looked at each other, and back at the woman.

They decided to do as she said. Both swore to protect the other with their lives, no matter what happened, and neither realized the other was thinking the exact same thing. But what they did know, was that they were closer than they'd ever been.

And they were starting to get a weird, yet familiar feeling about each other.