Hope

"So there I was," Pikachu explained, "in the middle of nowhere with a bad case of the forgetsies."

After realizing who they were, Ruby and Pikachu had gone to the nearest cafe. Ruby got herself a glass of milk, and some cookies, and why a bar was selling cookies was beyond her, and Pikachu got himself some (F/D).

"The only clue to my past is (Y/N)'s name and address inside this hat," Pikachu continued. "So, I made my way to the apartment, and that's when I found you. I don't know. Maybe (Y/N) got in too deep."

"Deep in what?" Ruby asked.

"You know," Pikachu said. "Mixed up with the wrong crowd, that kinda thing."

The bartender was looking at her weird, clearly confused as to why she was talking to a Grimm.

"Happens to the best of us," Pikachu continued as Ruby pulled out her scroll and put it to her ear. "The debts pile up. The walls close in. Right becomes wrong. Wrong becomes wrong." He noticed Ruby with her scroll to her ear. "Wait, who are you calling?"

"No one," Ruby said. "Yeah. Yeah, that sounds great." She turned to the bartender and pointed at the menu. "This menu looks really nice."

He nodded, with an awkward smile.

"Wait, I'm confused," Pikachu said. "Are you hearing other voices besides mine?"

"All I wanna know is why I can understand you," Ruby interrupted, trying not to embarrass herself any more.

"Can't help you there, kid," Pikachu said, taking his cup of (F/D). People were looking at Ruby weird, and she just gave them a smile and a friendly wave. "Like I said, I have amnesia. Can't remember a darn thing."

"Okay, so you're a talking Grimm with no memories, who's addicted to (F/D)," Ruby said.

Pikachu took a big sip of his drink, emptying it. "I could stop whenever I want. These are just choices." He pushed the cup to the bartender. "Another round."

The bartender took the cup, getting the memo, even though he couldn't understand Pikachu.

"Look," Pikachu said, "I'm a great detective. But I can't solve my own mystery if I have no memory."

"Then how do you even know you're a detective?" Ruby asked.

"Well that, I can... I can feel that in my jellies."

Ruby giggled. "In your what?"

"It's the jellies! It's that thing, you know? You feel it when you really believe in something despite everyone telling you you're wrong! Which is why I need to find (Y/N). He's the key to my past." The bartender gave Pikachu his (F/D). "Thanks, doll."

Ruby started tearing up. She wished she could find him too. She'd give anything to see his (H/C) hair and (E/C) eyes. But it would never happen. Just like Pikachu would never see him and get his memories back. She had to tell him. Maybe she could just stick with him. Give him a home without (Y/N). If he accepted anyway.

"Well," she said, "about that... (Y/N)'s... uh... (Y/N)'s dead."

Ruby expected Pikachu to be confused and upset, but his actual reaction, she did not see coming.

Pikachu spat out his (F/D), shook his head, and turned to her. "What?! No! No no no no no! No (Y/N) ain't dead!" He got up onto the table and stood in front of her. Ruby set down her scroll.

"I'm sorry," Ruby said. "He really is dead. I saw the police report."

Pikachu chuckled. "Just 'cause the cops say he's dead?"