Atlas

The airship was making its way to Atlas.

Ruby was sitting in a corner with a straight face, trying not to let tears flow from her eyes.

Ruby had gotten a call from the Atlas Police Department earlier, and they'd told her that (Y/N) had died in a car crash. She'd wanted to sob her eyes out, but she felt like she had to keep her composure. Her teammates still recommended her to go to Atlas to sort things out, so they got on an airship to head to Atlas.

Ruby looked up at her friends, who were standing in a circle off to the side, talking about something. Most likely her and the whole situation.

Ruby lifted her scroll to look at the news article: "Detective Dies In Fiery Crash". Her heart sunk as she read it again. A part of her wished she could've talked to him one more time. She hadn't talked to him for so long, she didn't even remember what he sounded like. But that other part of her still said he cared more about his career than her, and now it's led to... well... that.

A hologram appeared by the window, welcoming Ruby and her friends into Atlas.

"For years now, Grimm have been part of our world. Early humans would go nearly extinct by their relentless killings, and, with the power of dust, humans managed to triumph over them! The people who hunt them down are what we now refer to as huntsmen and huntresses! And one man has been assisting them in their never-ending battle: Howard Clifford, founder and chairman of Clifford Industries! Diagnosed with a rare, degenerative disease, he resigned from his corporation, and searched the world for a cure!"

"And it turned out," Howard's voice said, "that the cure I was looking for, was for me to evolve into a better version of myself! And I discovered how to do that with a partnership with hunters."

"And he wanted to share that," Howard's son, Roger, said. "with the world."

"And ever since," the announcer said, "Howard has been building weapons for hunters, as well as assisted in building Atlas! One of the four kingdoms, completely safe from any Grimm."

As the message continued, Ruby noticed her friends looking through the window. Curious to see Atlas for herself, and getting sick of thinking about (Y/N), she picked herself up off the ground, and walked over to the window.

Her jaw dropped at the amazing sight of the kingdom! She'd seen Atlas before in photos and paintings, but seeing it in person was much a much more fascinating sight!

As they walked out of the airship and into the city, they could see Howard on a screen, welcoming them.

"From all our citizens," he said, "welcome to Atlas!"

The four huntresses walked through the streets of the kingdom. Ruby and Yang looked around in awe, Blake texted Sun, and Weiss led them to the Police Department.

Soon, Ruby was sitting in the office of Lieutenant Hide Yoshida.

Ruby sat in silence, waiting for him to show up, trying not to remember anything of her boyfriend.

Then, the lieutenant walked into the office, and he saw Ruby.

"Hi, Ms. Rose," he said.

Ruby stood up and held out her hand. "Lieutenant Yoshida."

He took her hand, and shook it. He smiled at her.

"You're boyfriend was the best of the best," he said. "He was a legend in this precinct."

"Thank you?" Ruby said. "I'm glad his dream came true. How'd he get out of the academy that fast?"

Yoshida chuckled at the memories of his old friend. "I saw his detective work in action. I was impressed. Thought he deserved a degree a long time ago. So, I let him be a detective early."

"Everything seems to happen early for him," Ruby said, a hint of anger in her voice.

Yoshida ignored that, and walked over to his desk and sitting down. "It was a terrible tragedy, losing him and his partner."

"'His partner'?" Ruby repeated.

"His pet Grimm," Yoshida said.

"He had a pet Grimm?" Ruby said.

"Yes," Yoshida said. "You should've seen him! He named him Pikachu! And he was the cutest!" He changed the topic. "If you don't mind me asking, how's the huntress thing going? He told me you went to Beacon two years early."

"D-Did he talk about me?" Ruby asked.

"All the time," Yoshida confirmed. "He loved you more than anything. Broke his heart when you stopped returning his calls."

Ruby's heart sank. She should've guessed he really cared about her. What was she saying, of course he cared about her. Just not as much as this stupid job!

"But, Ruby," he said, leaning on his desk, "please don't put this all on yourself. No one should go through this type of thing alone. If you are anything like (Y/N)--"

"I'm not," Ruby interrupted.

Yoshida's smile faded.

"I-I mean..." she sighed. "Do you have the spare keys for his apartment? I should go wrap things up there."

"Of course," the lieutenant said. "Of course." He opened up a drawer in his desk, and pulled out a card. "Here's his address."

"Awesome," Ruby said.

"I can take you over if you want," he suggested.

"No," she said. "It's okay." She got up and took the card from him. "Thank you so much."

He placed the keys in her hand. Ruby smiled, and headed to the door to the office.

"Ruby," the lieutenant said. She turned to him. "This job, it demands a lot. But you were on his mind every day. He loved you more than anything else in the world."

Ruby felt like her heart was being tugged at. She didn't believe him. Either that, or she didn't want to listen to him. "It was nice to meet you, Lieutenant."

She walked away.