Challenge Accepted

"Hey, Ouma-kun. Uh, we have some free time. Do you mind if we go somewhere? I'd like to explore a bit." Shuichi suggests. Kokichi beams.

If I get close to Shuichi, then I'll be able to get closer to Momo-chan!

"Sure, Shumai!" He agrees optimistically.

They both walk along the corridor, then Shuichi pulls out a blindfold. He holds it out. "Do you trust me?"

"Hmmmm..." Kokichi takes the blindfold, tying it around his eyes. He curses himself silently.

You're gonna get yourself killed!

Shuichi leads him along, carefully, until they're exactly where he wanted to take Kokichi. Praying his plan doesn't backfire, he takes the blindfold off of Ouma's eyes.

The first thing the leader takes in his how high up they are. He backs away from the edge, pressing himself up against a wall. The floor felt so flimsy, like they always did when he was high up. Kokichi is certain that he's going to die up here. His face turns pale, and he begins to sweat.

"...Ouma..?" The detective hesitantly stands there, while the purple haired boy shakes like a leaf.

"I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die-" He murmurs over and over in a terrified way. Shuichi realizes this might not have been a good idea.

"Do you want to go down?" He asks, gently. Kokichi is too busy chanting in a panicked way to notice. He'd clearly zoned out, so Saihara gently lifts him up, carrying him down where it wasn't so high.

Kokichi simply buries his face into Shuichi's shirt, hiding his fear. He stays there for a bit, not wanting to move.

"Are you okay, Ouma?" He asks softly. The leader hugs him, still shaking.

"... I'm afraid of heights..." He admits quietly, cuddling in closer.

Kokichi is cursing himself internally. He had promised himself he wouldn't fall for anyone, he'd promised.

Yet, now, he was falling for a detective named Shuichi Saihara. He truly did have the world's worst luck.

"Ah, right. I'm sorry if I scared you." He says. Ouma simply laughs, his lying façade returning.

"Haha! But that was just a lie!" He hums, before skipping away.

When he returns to his bedroom, he washes his face, hiding the tears.

The boy sighs, flopping back onto his bed. He was tired, after the crying and fear. So, he fell asleep, forgetting to lock the door.

***

Ouma wakes up with a feeling of fear. He doesn't know why, though.

His eye gently opens, and he sees Maki, standing over him. A swear word exits his mouth, and he rolls of the bed. A knife flies into his arm, and he cries out in pain.

A pure instinct takes over, and he scrambles clumsily to his feet. He tears out of the door, adrenaline kicking in.

Who's safe? Kaito is too close to her... Maybe Rantaro? No, too unlikely to be in his room... Kirumi is definitely away... I guess that's my only choice.

He tears down the hallways, banging on a door. Panic is setting in, knowing that Maki is coming.

The door opens, and he ducks inside. Kokichi slams the door shut, panting heavily.

"Ouma..?" He turns around to see Shuichi, looking confused. A headache thrums in his head, and his vision is blurry.

He opens his mouth to talk, but instead, feels his body falling, and his mind drifting away.

Word count: 576