Healing

In the hospital, Kokichi was whisked away quickly. Shuichi, Korekiyo, Kaede, and Gonta. The rest just stand there.

"Uhm, when can we visit our friends?" Kiibo asks. The nurse tells them that they'll be alerted. So, they sit down and wait.

***

Kaito leans against the chair, nearly asleep. Maki is asleep, on his shoulder. Kirumi is sitting down, a nervous look on her face. Kiibo and Rantaro are murmuring to each other. Miu is asleep on Maki's shoulder. Ryoma had gone to visit Gonta. He had a concussion, and the doctors wanted to make sure he was okay.

"Kaede can be visited now, as can Korekiyo." The nurse announces. The group was allowed to stay in the hospital, solely because the nurses know they have no where else to go.

Kirumi stands and leaves, wanting to visit Kaede. Rantaro and Kiibo go to visit Korekiyo. Everyone else is asleep or waiting for someone else.

In another hour, Kaito is permitted to visit Shuichi and Kokichi, who are being kept in the same room, due to request.

Shuichi is awake, reading, one eye covered in a hospital eye patch. There are also plasters covering more of his face. A small cut runs across his lip. The detective looks up, smiling.

"Hey, Kaito."

The astronaut smiles back, sitting down next to him. Saihara puts down the book.

"How are you, sidekick?" His tone is concerned.

"I-Im fine. It's really not that bad." He replies, sounding nervous.

They hear a whimper from the other bed, where Kokichi is tossing anxiously. Shuichi sighs.

"He's been doing that alot. I think the execution really got to him. I don't blame him." The detective looks at the liar, eyes filled with concern.

They continue their idle conversation, just enjoying the sound of each other's voices, until they hear a thud.

"Shit."

Kokichi is on the floor after his legs had fell from under him. They clearly didn't work still.

"Kokichi, they already told you you're gonna need a wheelchair." The blue haired boy lies back in his bed, opening his book again. Kaito walks over to lift the liar back into bed.

"Come on, little sidekick, let's get you back to bed." He tucks the smaller boy back into his bed. Ouma pouts in return.

"You're no fun, Momo-chan."

The group falls into silence, until Shuichi places down his book.

"Kokichi, how did you end up surviving? I've been trying to figure it out, but I haven't been able to." He asks, the detective in him getting past the nervousness.

"Well... I don't know. There was my execution... The.. the press... Then I woke in a cell." He explains, tears beginning to fall down his face. Instead of admitting weakness, he decides another type of bluff.

"My eyes water when I'm tired. I should probably be going to sleep. Night, dumbass and motorcycle."

The other two look at each other. The detective yawns after a few seconds.

"A-ah, sorry-" He begins to apologise out of instinct.

"I'm tired myself, don't worry." The astronaut starts to lie down, but the detective interrupts.

"Y-you don't have to sleep on the chairs, y'know..." He pulls the covers off slightly next to him, turning away to hide his red face. Kaito smiles, climbing into the bed next to him.

"Night, sidekick."

Word count: 555