Chapter 4: The First Step Part 1

(3rd POV)

In the ballroom of Beacon academy most of the students were asleep or up and about getting ready for initiation. One of those people was Nora Valkyrie who was standing in front of a waking up Lie Ren. "Wake up, lazy butt!" Nora says as she dashes to the side.

Lie Ren gets up with a groan as Nora hounds him. "It's morning! It's morning! It's morning! It's morning!" Nora sings. Ren sighs again as he hears groaning from a nearby student. He looks to see Bruce glaring at Nora who is still singing as he tries covering his ears. "Does she have a snooze button?" Luke asked. "Sorry about her, she's... like this." Ren said a loss for words.

The scene changes to him brushing his teeth in the restroom while Nora continues to talk. "I can't believe we've been at Beacon for a full twenty-four hours! Not that I thought we'd get kicked out or anything, I mean, you're the perfect student and I'm... well, I'm me! But it's just crazy, you know?" Nora asked.

The scene changes to the ballroom, where the two are readying themselves. Nora is brushing her hair and still chattering while Ren is tightening the strings on his sleeping bag. "We've been friends for soooooooo long! What are the odds we'd still be together? Well, not "together-together..." Not that I'm not saying that you're not handsome; you are handsome, but that'd just be weird, right?" Nora asked.

The scene changes again as the two are in the middle of eating their breakfast, Nora having a pancake hanging from her mouth as she is still talking. "Right! What was I thinking? But still, I hope we end up on the same team together!" Nora said with her speech muffled thanks to the food in her mouth.

Nora slurps up the rest of her pancake as she continues talking to her friend. "Oohhhh! We should come up with some sort of plan, to make sure we end up on the same team together! What if we bribe the headmaster? No, that won't work. He has the school." Nora said.

The scene changes again as the two are readying themselves in the locker room, Ren loading StormFlower and Nora still talking. "I know! We'll have some sort of signal! Like a distress signal!" Nora said before gasping. "A secret signal so we can find each other in the forest! Can you imitate a sloth?" Nora asked. "Nora?" Ren asked. "Yes, Ren?" Nora asked.

Ren sheathes his weapons in his sleeves then tells Nora the flaw in her plan. "I don't think sloths make a lot of noise." Ren said. Nora thinks about this for a moment and then smiles. "That's why it's perfect! No one will suspect we're working together!" Nora said. Ren smiles at his friend's craziness and shuts his locker. "Come on Nora, let's go." Ren said. "Not together-together..." Nora said before giggling.

Ren heads out while a skipping Nora follows, passing Amelia Branwen, Ruby Rose and Yang Xiao Long as they are busy readying themselves. "Mmm those two look friendly." Amelia said. "Yeah, wonder what those two are so worked up about?" Ruby asked her cousin and sister. "Oh, who knows? So, you seem awfully chipper this morning!" Yang said.

"Yep! No more awkward small talk or "getting-to-know-you" stuff. Today, I get to let my sweetheart do the talking." Ruby said as she strokes Crescent Rose as she sighs happily. "That's... great." Amelia said, trying her best to give a supporting smile.

"Well, remember, Ruby, you're not the only one going through initiation. If you wanna grow up, you're gonna have to meet new people and learn to work together." Yang said. "She's right, you gotta do it some time in your life, so how about now?" Amelia asked.

Hearing this Ruby sighs in frustration. "You guys sound like Dad!" Ruby groaned. Ruby shoves her weapon into the locker. "Okay, first of all: What does meeting new people have to do with fighting? And secondly: I don't need people to help me grow up! I drink milk!" Ruby said matter of fact like. "You know that it's not true right?" Amelia asked. "But what about when we form teams?" Yang asked.