Chapter 11: Jaunedice Part 1

(3rd POV)

On the Beacon auditorium stage there stood two opponents with a light shining down on them. One of the two students is Cardin Winchester, with his weapon The Executioner perched on his shoulder and across from him was Jaune Arc, who had Crocea Mors drawn, leaning on his weapon as if exhausted.

Jaune looks at Cardin, who laughs at his opponent's tiredness, and Jaune gathers his strength to charge forward and swing his blade at Cardin, only for him to jump out of the way. Jaune looks back, surprised, as The Executioner sends Jaune's shield - and himself - flying back.

In the crowd of students watching this battle there was Team BLAK watching Jaune face Cardin. "So guys who do you think will win?" Bruce asked. "I don't want to say anything bad about Jaune, since I see him as a friend, but... he is totally going to get his ass kicked by Cardin! I mean he hasn't even laid one blow on the guy!" Felix said, gesturing to the monitors showing both opponents' aura levels.

Luke nodded his head as he saw the leader of Team CRDL smash his mace against Jaune's chest. "Indeed, Cardin seems to trump Jaune in every aspect there is in fighting. Strength, speed, training, intelligence...ish." Luke said. "Yeah I'm not saying he stinks though sometimes I am even surprised Jaune even got into this school when I don't think he could even kill a spider if his life depended on it." Amelia said. "You know for not trying to say anything bad about Jaune those are some pretty negative comments guys." Bruce said.

The four teammates look back at the fight to see Cardin and Jaune's weapons locked, Cardin forcing himself up, towering over a struggling Jaune. "This is the part where you lose." Cardin told the blond. "Over my dead-!" Jaune was saying until Cardin knees him in the gut making him groan.

This blow makes Jaune drop his sword and fall to the ground in pain. Cardin raises his mace and is about to slam it down on a worried Jaune just when the buzzer rings, the lights come back on, and Glynda Goodwitch's voice causes him to stop. "Cardin, that's enough!" Glynda said to him.

The mace wielding team leader relents and walks away as she comes onto the stage, tapping her tablet. "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match." Glynda said while Jaune still lays on the floor in defeat and Pyrrha Nikos looks down a bit sad.

Glynda turns her head to look at the losing warrior as he pulls out a smaller tablet with his low, blinking stats and that of his entire team. "Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?" Glynda asked. "Speak for yourself..." Cardin said as he raised his mace onto his shoulder and walked away.

As he walks away Team BLAK looks back over at Jaune who looks upset by the outcome of the battle. "Surprise. Surprise. Jaune lost." Luke said not even slightly stunned by the results. "You could at least try to sound a bit supportive sometimes even if it may be true." Felix said. "Yeah, I hate to say I had faith in him considering I didn't doubt your guy's judgment, but still that is no reason to be rude." Bruce said. "Now look who is giving slightly rude comments." Amelia said.

Glynda then resumes talking to the students as everyone gets all excited. "Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!" Gynda said, hyping up people in the room with anticipation. "Yeah and we're gonna show the other kingdoms how awesome we all are." Felix said as he punched his fist into the palm of his other hand.