Chapter 13: Forever Fall Part 1

(3rd POV)

In Beacon Academy's student dorms most of Team JNPR were in their room doing various things. Pyrrha Nikos looks out the window sadly as Lie Ren loads StormFlower and Nora Valkyrie is jumping on her bed in the room for Team JNPR.

"How come Jaune gets home so late?" Nora asked. "He's become rather scarce since he started fraternizing with Cardin." Ren said. "That's weird... Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest!" Nora said. As she said that she does a twirl in midair so her back hits the covers. "I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing." Pyrrha said uncharacteristically angry.

Nora and Ren exchange glances, not knowing that Jaune himself is looking in through the crack of the door. "Mmmm... I guess so." Nora said with uncertainty. Jaune hangs his head and closes the door, just as two voices interrupt his thoughts. "Hey, Jaune!" Ruby said. "What are you doing peeking in your own dorm room?" Bruce asked.

Startled, Jaune turns around to see Ruby and Bruce in their pajamas, and she giggles at his reaction while Bruce smiles. "Ruby and Bruce, what are you doing here?!" Jaune asked. "I live across from your room." Ruby said, pointing to the door to her own dorm. "Yeah and I am here to get back a book I leant to Ruby for weapons class." Bruce said, showing a book with an all black cover except for a white picture of a sword.

"So! Where have you been lately?" Ruby asked. "Yeah we haven't been seeing you much lately, Felix and Amelia honestly asked if you were dead." Bruce said. "I, uh..." Jaune said as he tried to come up with an explanation.

Nothing comes to mind though and he just sighs and lowers his head. "I messed up. I did something I shouldn't have, and now Cardin has me on a leash, and Pyrrha won't even talk to me, and..." Jaune said before he breathes heavily through his nose. "I'm starting to think coming to this school was a bad idea." Jaune said as he pressed his back to his team's door and slid down to the floor in depression. "Why would you think that?" Bruce asked, getting on his knees and then sitting down on Jaune's left side. "Well because I'm a failure." Jaune said.

"Nope!" Ruby said. "Nope?" Jaune asked, looking at her surprised. "Nope! You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure." Ruby said. "Yeah you have to succeed Jaune, quitting is not an option. Not anymore." Bruce said, smiling at him. "But... what if I'm a failure at being a leader?" Jaune asked. Ruby thinks about it for a moment, then gives her answer. "Nope!" Ruby said. "What I think is a better way to say it is you got suck it up and persevere." Bruce said.

Jaune laughs as she joins the boys on the floor. "You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff. Can I just talk to Bruce who is more open to conversation with more than just one word?" Jaune asked, looking at his male friend momentarily then back to Ruby. "Nope!" Ruby and Bruce both said.

Jaune starts leaning into the door some more as Ruby starts speaking more than just one word. "Jaune, maybe you were a failure when you were a kid..." Ruby said as Jaune groans and sinks lower to the ground. "... and you might've even been a failure the first day we met!" Ruby said as Jaune groaned and went lower still.

Bruce then turns to the first friend he has made in Vale. "Um Ruby, can you say something that is not going to crush his already low self esteem?" Bruce asked. "I was getting to that." Ruby said to her famous friend. "But, you can't be one now. You know why?" Ruby asked her blond friend. "Uhhh, because...?" Jaune asked, not knowing the reason.

"Because it's not just about you anymore. You've got a team now, Jaune. The Three of us do! And if we fail, then we'll just be bringing them down with us." Ruby said. "Yeah, but how can I stand up for them if I can't even stand up for myself?" Jaune asked.