Chapter 16: BLAK and White and Gray

(3rd POV)

Sun Wukong and Blake Belladonna were on the balcony of the cafe in the middle of Vale. Everything was quiet until one of Vale's new arrivals spoke up. "Finally, she speaks! Nearly two days and you've given me nothing but small talk and weird looks!" Sun said. Blake gives Sun a firm look though he continues smiling. "Yeah, like that." Sun said as he held the tea cup with his tail.

Blake rolls her eyes before closing them in annoyance and then looks at him sadly. "Sun... Are you familiar with the White Fang?" Blake asked. "Of course! I don't think there's a Faunus on the planet who hasn't heard of them. Stupid, holier-than-thou creeps that use force to get whatever they want. Bunch of freaks, if you ask me!" Sun said.

As Sun was giving his explanation of the White Fang, Blake is sipping her drink while listening until she speaks. "I was once a member of the White Fang." Blake said. Sun promptly goes cross-eyed and chokes on his drink, making him put it down and wipe his mouth as he holds up a hand to process this information just revealed to him and starts to regret a few choice words. "Wait a minute, you were a member of the White Fang?!" Sun asked.

"That's right. I was a member for most of my life, actually. You could almost say I was born into it..." Blake said. She then begins to remember the stories her mother told her about the world when she was younger as she began picturing images of weapons, then humans shaking hands to the agreement they made with Faunus.

"Back then, things were different. In the ashes of war, the White Fang was meant to be a symbol of peace and unity between Humans and the Faunus." Blake said. She then begins thinking how her and other Faunus ancestors were still being treated horribly by the humans. How they must have stood up for each other against the humans all though it made no difference.

"Of course, despite being promised equality, the Faunus were subjected to discrimination and hate. Humanity still thought of us as lesser beings. And so, the White Fang rose up as a voice of our people. And I was there." Blake said.

Blake internally smiled as she remembered back when she was just a kitten holding a sign chanting the lines for her hopes of equality, but frowned when she remembered how little it got them. "I was at the front of every rally. I took part in every boycott. I actually thought we were making a difference. But I was just a youthful optimist." Blake said.

"Then, five years ago, our leader stepped down, and a new one took his place. A new leader, with a new way of thinking." Blake said. Blake sighed as she thought of the day the signs turned to weapons and the peaceful protests started getting bloodier as a result.

"Suddenly, our peaceful protests were being replaced with organized attacks. We were setting fire to shops that refused to serve us, hijacking cargo from companies that used Faunus labor. And the worst part was, it was working. We were being treated like equals. But not out of respect... out of fear." Blake said.

Sun frowns hearing about this as he uses his tail and puts the cup down. "I'm sorry to hear, it must have been hard." Sun said. Blake looks at her reflection in the tea before she takes a sip and looks at him. "Well I admit it was difficult, but there were a few good things that happened during my time back there." Blake said. "Yeah, always focus on the positives, so what happened next?" Sun asked.

"I left. I decided I no longer wanted to use my skills to aid in their violence, and instead, I would dedicate my life to becoming a Huntress. So here I am: a criminal hiding in plain view, all with the help of a little black bow." Blake said as she wiggled her cat ears beneath the fashionable disguise to demonstrate.