Prologue

Prologue

I stood in line for the cab lane outside of the Aeroport de Paris-Charles de Gaulle, and I'm quite devastated now. Aside from breathing the French air and how cold it is today on a Sunday afternoon, I'm still pissed at how my day went. Ang sabi ng friend ng kakilala ko, he will pick me up at the airport, and then he sent a message to me earlier that he wouldn't be able to check on me kasi nagkaroon siya bigla ng problem sa work niya.

At once, in my life, kailan ba ako malalagay sa isang perfect situation? It feels like there's so much strong force navigating me to fail and what's every outcome of it? Of course, if I'm not ruining it, something else will.

Pinipigilan ko lang manggigil sa inis dahil this is not a country to dwell all the anger and uncertainty in my world. Oh fuck those problems and kabuangan in life. I don't need it. My new life in Paris awaits. And with that being said, I'm gonna make a change.

At least for once, sure, I can make it work again. Sana bumagyo ng ka-swertihan, magpapakatangay ako hanggang saanmang lupalop ako dalhin. I only weigh a hundred and ten pounds, I can do a Harlem shake while being blown. I also think I don't need it in some way. I've still got a little sprinkle of luck in me.

And then life brings me to Paris, France... and who wouldn't want to be in Paris, anyway? I know every little girl and teenager dreamed of going to this place and I'm already looking forward if what we dreamed of when we're little is true or it is just too good to be true.

A moment later a Parisian cab stops in front of me. It is a black--I don't know what model of car it is but they told me that Parisian cabs are looked the same so I hope hindi ito kidnapper. May pangarap pa ako sa buhay. Gusto ko pa makapangasawa ng milyonaryo.

"Bonjour," I waved and smiled. Trying to get his attention and then he tilted his head to look at me from inside his car thru his open window. (Hello!)

"Où est-ce que vous allez?" the cab driver asked. Nagulantang ang buo kong pagkatao nang tanungin ako in francais. (Where are you going?)

I know I prepared for this but I feel so intimidated to communicate with a real person who naturally speaks the language I've just learned for a month. And also with a help of an online language tutor, I hope I'll ace this!

I processed his question in my head before I proceed to answer it.  I don't want a Parisian to get mad at me for ruining their love language. He was just asking where I would be going and that's an easy start for me.

"Onzième," I enunciated and then work it with a smile. "Avenue Parmentier, Monsieur." (11th. Parmentier avenue, sir!)

"Genial, Mademoiselle," he smiled and I think I did great there. What a good start for me. Oh, my confidence is rising up! I feel like I'm going to be in love with Paris more. (Great, miss.)

He helped me to put my luggage in the trunk of the car. I only have a piece of huge luggage and a medium one. Mabuti na lang talaga ay naibalik sa akin ang purse ko. Hindi 'ko alam kung anong gagawin ko if my purse went lost. Ang hirap pa namang mag-adjust lalo na kapag nasa ibang lugar and in Paris... I wanna get lost but this isn't the best time to be in that situation.

I hopped inside the car and the driver says something to me. I didn't get to understand what he says because he speaks too fast and his accent seems to intimidate me. Ngiti na lamang ang binigay ko.

"Oui! Allons-y!" I giggled. (Yes! Let's go!)

I opened the window on my side and it seems like the driver didn't mind it. As he drives me by to my destination, I couldn't believe how majestic it is really here in Paris. The historical structure and buildings are all pretty. It is already rich in culture and the elegance shows the beautiful eccentric ways of Parisians. The nearly blue sky compliments the chilly weather. I wonder how it is like here when the winter season came. I can't wait to experience my life in this country.