Chapter 2: The Hunt

Two males and one female. I recognized the one in the middle as Laurent. I had met him when I was still with my brothers before the Volturi checked in on them. I took in everything I could about them. I knew Edward was listening to their thoughts while I watched their stances.

"We thought we heard a game." Laurent said in a relaxed voice with his French accent showing through a little. "I'm Laurent, this is James and Victoria." He gestured to the other 2.

Carlisle introduced us as I felt the familiar surge when I was around other gifted vampires. Tracking and self-preservation. I could feel Laurent's eyes on me. I blocked everything out and watched the tracker. From the look on his face he was wanting to leave and find another hunt. It was a game to him. When everyone began moving I kept my gaze locked on James as three things happened simultaneously: Bella's hair ruffled with the slight breeze, Edward and I both stiffened, and James whipped his head around and scrutinized Bella, his nostrils flaring as he took in the scent. He and Edward both slipped into a crouch. I was ready to use my gift if James moved toward us.

"What's this?" Laurent asked in surprise. Neither the tracker or Edward relaxed.

"She's with us Laurent." I said for the first time letting my accent come through full force. The Romanian coven once held power and even though the Volturi destroyed the majority of them most nomads still respected them. I saw James' look of surprise as Victoria showed the same expression. When the three finally left Edward rushed Bella to the jeep. As they left I looked at Carlisle.

"The hunt is his game. He's a tracker." I tell them as we run back to the house. We began gathering supplies when there was a knock on the door. "It's Laurent." I say as Carlisle moves to the door.

"I came to warn you." He says as Carlisle leads him into the room. I look up at him afraid. There was no telling what he came to warn us about. "About James. You've no need to fear Alexis the Volturi still knows nothing about you." I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. "This isn't my fight and I've grown tired of his games. He's got unparalleled senses, absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my 300 years." He says and looks at me knowingly as he had met me before he joined James's coven. He knew about the copycat power that I had. I glared at him and he continued. "And the woman Victoria, don't underestimate her." I took in the information as he left before Bella and Edward walked in.

Everyone came up with a game plan as to how to throw the tracker off before it was decided that Alice and Jasper would run her south, while the rest of us would lead him away. The car peeled out of the driveway as Rose, Esme, and I took off running knowing the tracker wasn't watching us. We ran for a while before I was sucked into a vision. All I saw were mirrors everywhere. It was a ballet studio. I stopped running causing the others to stop as well.

"He's changed course." I say. Edward calls Bella when we get back to the house and jump in the car driving away, Esme and Rose stayed to watch over Charlie. I tuned out the conversation. When he hung up we were already halfway to Phoenix. When Carlisle, Emmett, Edward, and I met up with Alice and Jasper, I noticed Bella wasn't with them. I slipped away from my family knowing Edward would follow since we were both the fastest. We ended up in front of the ballet studio that I had seen in my vision. We rushed inside when we heard a yell. Edward pushed James away from Bella while I stayed next to her. Edward rushed back to Bella and I moved to deal with James as the others started showing up.

Of course the tracker pushed me out of the way as Edward tried to get Bella out of there. I growled before throwing James away from Edward. "Get your ass over there Edward." I say angrily as I let my gift escape from my fingertips. The tracker was incapacitated experiencing his worst fears, as Emmet and Jasper got ahold of him. I allowed my gift to retreat and helped rip up the floorboards. Alice, who had stayed by Bella while we were holding the tracker, moved toward us as I kicked James from behind causing him to fall to his knees allowing Alice to rip his head off as Jasper and Emmett ripped his arms off before throwing him into the fire that I started.

Carlisle and Edward took Bella to the hospital while I made the call to Charlie to tell him a convincing story of what happened. The others returned to Forks to try and find Victoria.

"Hello?" Charlie Swan said upon answering the phone.

"Hi Mr. Swan. I'm Carlisle's daughter, Alexis. I was calling to let you know that Edward, Carlisle, and I were coming to Phoenix to convince Bella to come back to Forks when she tripped and fell down two flights of stairs breaking her leg and went through a window. She's lost a lot of blood but Carlisle was able to help her and get her to the hospital in time. I was calling to let you know in case you wanted to come down and see her."

"Yes. Just let me get some things taken care of for work and then I'll be down there. Thank you for calling me and telling me, Alexis." He said after a pause.

"It's no problem. My dad called the airport just in case so you have a ticket waiting for you when you get there." I tell him before he ends the call. I headed toward the hospital and looked for Carlisle who nodded at me letting me know he had called the airport and bought a ticket for Charlie. I sighed as he had to take Bella into surgery before I sat down with Edward.

"Did you make it believable?" He asked. I nodded.

"He'll be here soon. And Edward, no offense but I don't think he likes you very much." I tell him. "I'm gonna head back to Forks to help the others look for the woman."

"Wait." He says grabbing my arm. "Are you okay?"

"I haven't used that gift in years Edward. I just have to get used to it again." I tell him before walking away and toward the forest outside the hospital. I broke into a run and was back in Forks in no time. Victoria was long gone by the time I arrived to help, but since I had copied James's gift I packed a small bag before taking off after her. I called the Denali's and told them I wouldn't be able to make it as prom was a few days away and that I had to track down an angry and vengeful mate. I spent 2 weeks trying to find the red-head, but every time I got close she'd disappeared.