Chapter 10: An Uneasy Alliance

I had finally decided that it was time for me to return to the Cullen house. I wasn't about to admit that the only reason I left Emily's was because Jacob brought Bella over. Everyone could feel the tension between us as she caught sight of the Volturi crest hanging around my neck. It had become rare for me to take it off other than when I showered, patrolled, trained, or took Claire to the beach. I sighed as I walked through the door and let go of Luna's power. The situation in Seattle was growing worse and I knew it even without Alec telling me when he got the chance to call. I quickly went up to my room and unpacked everything and placed it where I once had it. I had spent the last day at Emily's washing all my dirty clothes that I tended to wear either when I took Claire to the beach or when I patrolled with some of the pack. I shoved my suitcases back under my bed where they once were before the family split up so many months ago.

"Welcome home Alexis." I heard Esme's soft voice say. I turned to look at my mother figure and smiled.

"It doesn't even feel like home anymore Esme. It's not like the others are glad I'm back either, other than you and Carlisle." I tell her quietly, feeling everyone's apprehension.

"They'll come around. Just give them time." She tells me. I nod and watch as she walks away leaving me to my thoughts. I messed with the crest around my neck thinking of my mate. I smirked when Edward rushed into my room not long after Esme left. I growled as he pinned me to the wall.

"Let me go." I hissed at him. He ignored me before running out of the room, his hand still gripping my neck. He ran outside and pinned me to a tree. He growled causing the whole family to come outside.

"You wanna be a Volturi so badly then go. No one wants you here." He hissed between clenched teeth.

I had been holding my power back but when I heard those words I lost what little bit of control I had left. I screamed as the familiar mist appeared, but unlike any other time it surrounded my whole body as Edward flew back taking the crest with him. The familiar look of fear on his face. "No. It's you who doesn't want me here, Masen." I growled while he was still under my gift. "I left once because your mate pissed me off. I don't care that she was trying to save you from Felix. I'm pissed because the day she decided to jump off that cliff I was trying to catch the redhead. I came back to Forks while you were gone. I saw how broken she really was when I'd stand guard outside her house every night after she found out about the pack. I could hear her screams from the nightmares that you caused her. I kept Victoria away from her when she kept trying to get through the pack. I had to watch as Laurent returned and threatened Bella, but I didn't step in because I would not be the one to cause Irina so much pain." I would have continued but I was tackled by someone who was running full force at me. I immediately calmed at the smell of my mate. I felt my gift leave Edward and come back toward me. I breathed in and took a couple calming breaths as I heard Edwards scream of pain. I pushed Alec off of me and looked toward Esme.

"Just give them time right." I said as calmly as I could without Jasper using his gift. "It seems Edward made his decision. I'm no longer someone he considers family Esme all because my mate belongs to the coven threatening his mate. After Isabella is changed and the situation is taken care of I'm gone." I say glaring toward the vampire holding back his screams of pain. I stood up from where I was and stalked toward the one person I had trusted the most when I first joined the Cullen's. "You wondered why the Romanians changed me, now you know." I hiss at him as I jerk my necklace away from him before looking at Jane letting her know she could let him out from under her gift. I stalk inside and ignore everyone other than the Volturi who silently follow after me. I looked out my window and watched as the Cullen's left to give us some privacy before I looked at the guard. "How?"

"We heard the scream all the way in Seattle. It didn't help that Alec lost control of his gift like you did." Jane said. "We left and ran here hoping to stop you before you did something you'd regret."