Chapter 10: Unique

[Ink POV]

I turned away from the cluster of papers with a huff. What I was looking for wasn't there. I moved to another part of the Doodlesphere, still looking.

I was looking for something that seemed wrong, missing one of its components, but so far everything had either been blatantly wrong or had turned out to be a bust when I investigated. As I continued looking, I thought back to when I first spoke to Blue about (Y/N).

"So, are they from around here?" I was sure Blue wouldn't guess my reasons for asking; he didn't believe in ulterior motives.

"I think so! We've never really talked about it  with them! We don't like to bring up their past because it upsets them!" Blue nodded vigourously. "They have nightmares about it, we think. They don't remember anything about their parents either," he added seriously.

"Really? Are the nightmares very bad?" I laced concern in my voice, even though I knew Blue  wouldn't question me. 

"Queen Toriel says that they scream sometimes," Blue said sadly. "She says they call out for their brother, and for someone called Kyle. When she asked (Y/N) about it, they said he was a close friend of their brother's."

"A brother?" I heard the excitement trying to peek through in my voice, and pushed it back. "I didn't know they had a brother?"

Blue nodded. "They've only spoken about him once, to Queen Toriel. They told her that he was their twin, and that he died. That was all they could bring themself to say. We don't talk about him because it makes them sad to think about him." He said it very solemnly. 

I thought about that. If they didn't talk about their past, there was really no way to tell for sure... and thay just seemed so... out of place in Underswap. It was like finding a puzzle piece that belonged in a different box. I really wanted to find out which one... which AU they did belong to, if not Underswap... and every time I encounter them, I become more and more ceartain.

(Y/N) does not belong to Underswap. I don't think they know it, they must have forgotten somehow. Perhaps their memory was wiped, either by their brother or by this Kyle, for their protection. But why? And which AU are they from? 

"Ink? Are you okay?" Blue waved his hand in front of my face.

"Oh, yeah." I laughed. "I just spaced out again."

Since then, I had been scouring the multiverse, looking for where (Y/N) came from. I had checked in some alternate Underswap AUs first, to make sure I was right. When I didn't ifnd alternate versions of (Y/N) there, I came to the conclusion that there were only two possible explinations.

One; somehow, some very specific chain of events had caused (Y/N) to be unique to that very specific version of the Underswap AU. Two; (Y/N) was moved to Underswap from a different AU. The latter option was much more plausible.

Suddenly, something caught my eye. A paper, one that looked out of place. I moved toward it, an examined it, a smile spreading across my skull.

"This is it," I whispered. "This is what I've been looking for."

The image, which was once of three people, now showed one male, and two greyed, blurred out silhouettes. One seemed feminine, the other masculine. And they were both too blurred out to decipher any features, but I knew. This had to be it.

I memorized the face of the remaining person, the male. That must be Kyle. I laughed exuberantly. I was gonna get to the bottom of this. I was going to prove that (Y/N) didn't belong in Underswap, once and for all. 

And once I did that, I'd find a way to restore their memories, and bring them back to their own AU. Where they belong. Them not being there was obviously damaging it, which I couldn't allow.

I needed to bring them back there.