01

"What time do you think the game will end?"

"I'm not sure, I told her I'd watch the whole thing though."

"Who should we be cheering for?"

"Well, I'm going to cheer on my friend. But you two can decide for yourselves since I dragged you both along. Of course, no hard feelings if you cheer on the enemy."

"You're making it sound like we shouldn't cheer on the other team..."

"What? No, no, do whatever you like!"

"You're still making it sound like we shouldn't."

Their footsteps retract as I fill my water bottle, wondering who these people had come to see. Well, the one person, at the least. When the water swells to the top, I twist the cap on and turn around, back into the gymnasium.

Anika shakes her head as she meets my gaze. "Could you feel all of those precious minutes going to waste just because you had to fill your water bottle?"

"I didn't hear her say she was going to fill them!" I counter, talking about the manager. I jog to the bench to set down the bottle and feel a shiver. The draft in the air doesn't help my nerves. Noticing that my team had started to line up for stretches, I position myself next to Anika.

"This is so unfair," she grumbles, imitating the movements of our teammate in the center of the line leading. "Why are we using this tiny gym? I wanted to play in the main one."

"It's fine, it's just this game. We'll have more chances." I reassure her, but her gaze doesn't soften.

Opting to change the subject, I ask, "Hey, are your siblings coming to watch?"

"No, they couldn't," she responds calmly, but instantly her eyes light up in realization. "Oh, but my friend is coming to watch!"

"Who?"

"He's actually more of a family friend, but same difference, I guess."

"Oh. I heard a conversation outside where this guy said he was coming to watch a family friend. He was with two other guys though."