CHAPTER IX

(F/n's POV)

To my surprise, all I could do was breath out a whisper, "What?"

I could hear Yuki prancing her way to the window, "Yohoo! Sakusa."

Sakusa's groan of frustration was audible on the call, "Why is she here?"

"Bastard. Stop ignoring me!" Yuki yelled, raising her fist at him, "Yohoo."

"The main question is why are you here?" I asked, biting my fingers gently. There were some celebratory events held in my house, invitations were  given exclusively to the volleyball teams in the Itachiyama Academy. Because the number of people coming is not a relatively massive throng, Sakusa could participate; hence the reason why he knows his way here. However, this is the first time he came without any event or invitation.

He heaved a breath and was about to speak, but Yuki suddenly took my phone. She hung up the call, her right arm on her waist, "You can ask him when you open the door, baka. You don't want him to wither away in the cold, do you?"

"R-right." I stammered in embarrassment. Because of how I want to erase my odd reactions towards Sakusa, I momentarily forgot my manners.

My gait was extremely stiff as I made my way to the door. With my condition, it's the worst time for him to visit. I haven't even controlled my heartbeat yet.

I really need to see a doctor, I thought. I am not taking Yuki's judgement into consideration. Yet.

My parents, who are still working at this time, told me to always ask for a second opinion from an expert before accepting the statements of your friends as facts. Although if the school nurse asserted the same analysis, I can't probably still accept it. Stubborn, I know.

"Why are you so against it, f/n? He's going to be a third year soon."

Yuki may be right about Sakusa being mature and understanding of my priorities. However, aside from my fear of leading him on with a feeling that is likely to be fleeting, giving him a chance will ultimately break him.

Sakusa has indeed grown into a fine man and it did immensely affect me. Yes, other than playing volleyball, it was my first time to feel my pulse on a high. It's still not enough for me to reciprocate his feelings. I couldn't reject him, my dear kouhai, so I made the bet for him to move on. Through that, we could forget what happened and still get along.

You could have said no if you wanted to, my subconscious suddenly popped up.

That is true. I could have just flat-out rejected him at that moment. I don't know why I even made that stupid bet. Now, I have to face him when he graduates with my response. Not only that, but the kiss as well.

Thump. Thump.

I can't bear hurting him with my reply. I just hope he'll forget this soon. Teenage boys and their hormones are unpredictable.