CHAPTER XI

(F/n's POV)

"Are you okay, f/n?" Yuki muttered after I failed to do a jump serve. I rubbed my face in frustration since all of my serves did not even go in.

"You've been using too much power. Are you angry because of my calls?" She whispered. I paid her no mind as my coach narrowed his eyes at me, "L/n, give me 20 dives." He yelled, clearly aggravated by my service errors.

Groaning, I jogged out of the court and complied with the punishment. After ignoring Sakusa's last message, he didn't send me another text to clarify what he meant. By talk, does he mean through a call? Will we meet up? I shouldn't have sent that message.

Baka, baka, I reprimanded myself.

"I thought you didn't want to lead him on too. By saying that, he might think there's already a chance."

Remembering the nurse's assertion a few minutes ago made me stumble. I lost my balance and fell down. Because of my obtuseness, I might have exacerbated the situation. From my peripheral vision, I could see Yuki approaching me, her steps heavy with confusion and concern.

"L/n-san. We need to talk." The coach beckoned with his finger pointing outside. With his new command, my focus snapped like a brittle branch.

We need to talk.

The fear of facing the consequences of what I did resonated within me. I unknowingly shook my head, "What do you mean no? Don't be disobedient. Matsui Yuki, did you swap souls with l/n?" Grumbling, the coach neared towards me.

"Hey! I am a good person." Yuki gainsaid, crossing her arms. The coach rolled his eyes as he stretched his arm towards me, "Come on. Get up."

"I'm fine, coach. I apologize about that." I assured him. However, he didn't believe me since he lowered his body and grabbed my arm. I was about to take off his gentle grasp but he cleared his throat, indirectly implying that he won't let me go.

With his hand on my arm, he looked back at the team as we proceeded to walk out of the gymnasium, "Continue practicing. I just need to talk with your ace. Don't loosen up and don't you dare leave the practice. I'm talking about you, Matsui!"

For the whole walk, I was completely distracted. I never thought that my honesty could potentially hurt Sakusa. It's not that my intention was vile and heartless, but he might have misinterpreted it as an opportunity. I broke out from my reverie when Coach Ono tapped my head, "Hello? Where is your mind wandering, l/n-san?"

Shaking my head, I breathed in deeply for me to regain my composure, "It's nothing important. I'm just scared for my grades, coach."

He snorted, "Uh-huh. Being scared is different from being distracted, l/n. You broke Yuki's record of service errors."

I gaped at him, discombobulated. Ever since I joined the team, the managers have been tracking our errors in formal games and in practice matches. It was to note how much our progress was and what could be done to magnify it. In terms of service errors, Yuki was the first on the list. Garnering 97 outs and serves that didn't go over the net, Yuki was rewarded with Coach's 2-hour sermons.