1

There was something about New York City in the winter.

I loved all of the Christmas lights, holiday decorations, and all of the holiday food specials.

But I hated walking to school in the cold.

I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling.

Gosh, I really didn't feel like doing school today but we only had two more days before Christmas break.

All of my teachers were being super chill except Mr. Young who decided to give us a project instead of a regular midterm. A project that Sam and I hadn't even started on even though it was due tomorrow.

Yeah, I had to go to school.

I got myself up and walked into my bathroom. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and took my hair out of the bonnet.

Another part that I loved about December was getting silk presses and not having my hair frizz up because of the humidity and heat.

Then I noticed that I didn't hear the usual commotion of my thirteen-year-old sister scrambling to get ready for school. She was probably oversleeping and if she was my mom was going to kill her. Especially if she woke her up already.

I put on my slipper and walked down the hall to the door at the end. Her door had a big sparkly A on it and a door handle sign that read 'I'm probably sleeping'.

I opened the door and flipped on the light. "Ariella it's way past time to get up."

She rose like a vampire and just looked at me. "I'm not going to school today."

I crossed my arms and leaned against the doorframe. "Why?"

Ari let out a forced cough. "I'm sick."

"You're full of shit." I looked her in the eyes. "What did you do? The hot rag trick and throw it in the hamper before mom could see then leaving her to feel a warm face."

She gave me a smirk. "I learned from the best. I didn't see the point, you know? I don't have any tests and I don't care about the stupid Christmas play. Eating in my bed and watching Netflix sounds good to me and you know she won't force me to go on the last day before break."

I shrugged. "True but you just wait until you're swamped with tests next year."

Next school year, she would be in high school with me and I couldn't believe it. Sometimes it felt like I was ripping out her front teeth when she was in first grade.

"I live in the present." she laid back down. "Have a good day bean."

Bean was the nickname that my family called me for all of my life. My mom said it was because I was such a tiny bean at birth and it just stuck.

It could've been worse though.

Ariella's was goose or goober because she was obsessed with goose growing up and goober just came from that.

Personally, I thought Angelina had the cutest name which was ace since her whole name was Angelina Charlotte Elizabeth. She was my parents' surprise baby and she was also the only one with double middle names.

It didn't bother me much. Angelina Charlotte Elizabeth Winston was a mouthful.

I put on my school uniform - white button-down, plaid skirt, stockings, school approved sweatshirt and my Docs - and then headed downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning." I greeted everyone as I sat down at the island next to Angelina who was eating eggs and bacon. "Where's dad?"

My mom put my plate of breakfast in front of me. "He's taking the day off to take Ari to the doctor and then we're going to watch Ace in her second grade Christmas play. Of course, Ari will be at home but I'm going to send Carolyn to watch her."