xxii; chaplin

Playing right now :
» [naked heart - Aimyon] «
0:00 〇───── 0:00
◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹

At that time, on that night,
I thought that it would be better
If I didn't fall in love
Now I'm in love again

The sun was over their heads. The searing heat did not stop them from having a picnic in the park. Indeed, they were keen as today was their last day of school before summer holiday. Everybody was all excited to wait for school time to end soon today. The breeze which blows gently filled them with joy.

He glanced at her. His left hand was in the grip of her right hand. Her other hand was holding a pen that was moving on his palm, sketching a pattern that he can't figure yet. She was humming an unidentified song, which clearly showed that she was in a good mood.

"What are your plans for this holiday?" asked Taehyung. His eyes were still on her.

"I don't know. I don't have any particular plans yet. Probably bake some cakes with my sister, or sleep, or watch some movies. Or maybe have a decent family time," replied Sohyun.

Her father had left the ward 5 days ago. Her sister will return to the United States after the summer holidays end. Now their family is complete for the first time after a year and a half has passed. So, she will make sure she will spend most of her time on this holiday with them, especially with her sister.

She glanced at him for a moment, then returned to focus with a painting on his hand. "And you?"

"I'm planning to go back to my hometown. I haven't been back to there in a long time." He turned to look at the blue sky. "I miss home."

"When was the last time you returned there?"

"I don't know. Maybe during Christmas two years ago, or three."

He tried to remember when was the last time he returned to the village, the last time he ate his grandma's food, the last time he played with his cousins. The last time he met his cousins, they had entered kindergarten. Maybe now they are good at reading fluently.

"How does it feel to have a hometown? I didn't have one."

His head bowed down upon heard her words. "Really?"

"Yup, I was born here. My sister was too. And my mom too. My father was born in Ulsan, but they didn't have a house there. They sell it after my grandparents dead."

"Then, this is your hometown."

"You're right, and that's the problem. I want to feel what it feels like to have a long ride back to home. The excitement that you will feel when you finally can return home after a long time."

She sighed.

"So, to feel that way, I have to go far away from here. Like my sister, she has a place to be called hometown, a place she will return to after a long journey, a place she misses so much with her whole heart. That's what you called home."

She always heard her sister said 'Ahhhh, finally I'm home', or 'Oh God! It's been a long time since I'm home', or something like that, every time her sister comes home on summer vacation or long semester break. That made her jealous as the furthest place she had been to is her school, which is not more than 10 km from home.