4. NOT TOO LATE

After that, Gene was a little thrown off of the wedding plans. Her mind ran wild with theories and questions about the sword, and why Dumbledore left it to her.

She wished she could have asked him. She wished he was here.

"Hey," Hermione nudged her gently in the side, bringing Gene out of her thoughts, "You'd better get dressed." she said, a small smile on her lips as she looked at Gene.

The ceremony was short but sweet, having taken place earlier on in the afternoon. Gene wore a different dress then, a pale, light-wash of pink, as per Fleur's request. For the reception, however, Gene had a much different dress in mind– something more her style.

Her hair was twisted into a low bun at the nape of her neck, a magnolia flower picked from the tree outside and pinned in it, courtesy of Hermione. Her eyes were lined with a dark shadow with hidden sparkles; shimmering under the warm lights of the room; her cheeks flushed an intentional peach colour and gloss on her lips for the occasion, all thanks to Ginny.

Gene nodded distantly, standing up from her seat to grab the hanger that held her dress, before beginning to put it on, Hermione helping button up the back. It was a deep green colour, somewhere between a deep emerald green and black, only noticed by a keen eye.

The sleeves ran all the way down her arms to her hands, the soft layers of fabric decorated with embroidery and encrusted with tiny gems.
It was a gown that touched the floor, one that belonged to her mother, funnily enough. The neckline darted straight across her chest, providing the perfect canvas for her necklace.

"Don't look so down, Hermione." Gene said.

Hermione looked up, the woeful expression across her features having not disappeared in the last half an hour, as Gene watched her intently through the mirror. She was missing Finn, obviously. Hermione finished fastening the locket around Gene's neck, mustering a weak smile.

"I have a surprise for you." Gene said, Hermione's eyebrows furrowing in response, "He's waiting downstairs." she smiled knowingly, while Hermione's expression had completely transformed into one of sheer joy.

"You didn't." Hermione whispered.

Gene turned around, "I didn't. Ron did." she smiled even more. "Go on."

She crossed the room to hold the door open for Hermione, who had been waiting for those exact words, as she raced down the steps. Gene's heel caught the door just in time as she watched Hermione's hair disappear amongst the crowd at the foot of the stairs, breathing a laugh.

Gene glanced over her appearance a final time, nodding in assurance to her reflection before making her way toward the stairs. Her eyes were trained on the staircase itself, almost terrified that she might have tripped over her long dress, until she saw a pair of smart shoes blocking her path.

Her head shot up, finding Lupin stood before her, offering a hand and a small smile. Gene lifted an eyebrow at this, taking his larger hand in hers anyways, as they walked down the stairs together.

"You know it's not my wedding, right?" she asked playfully, causing him to chuckle under his breath.

Gene looped her arm through his, and Lupin's other hand came over to rest over hers as they walked through the marquee.

"I know. But I look forward to the day." he returned, a knowing smile of sorts on his lips and she narrowed her eyes at him, "I wish your father could see you then. See you now."

Lupin gave a deep sigh, one of repressed torment and guilt, and everything else in between. The pain seemed to be everlasting for them both. Gene squeezed his arm a little tighter, feeling tears prick at her eyes as she nodded.