15. EVEN IF IT KILLED THEM

The Snatchers each took hold of one of them, with Greyback clinging to Gene in particular, to her discomfort, and they Apparated out of the woods, coming onto a long stony drive, leading toward tall iron gates.

She recognised the manor behind the gates, her stomach turning as her heels began to dig into the ground, subconsciously avoiding the fact.

"Oh, no." Gene murmured under her breath, just loud enough for Harry to hear as he turned to her.

"What is it?" he said quietly, glancing briefly behind him for the Snatchers. "Where are we?"

Gene exhaled, seeing a shadow on the other side of the gate, "Malfoy Manor." she told him, just as he was shoved forward, his face pushed up against the iron bars, as Bellatrix stepped out from the shadows.

Bellatrix pointed her wand, illuminating the skin across Harry's forehead, and slowly, she smiled.

They were dragged into the Manor by force, Gene swallowing her rage as she caught a glimpse of Draco, rage that had been building up for some time now.

Though she couldn't say the same for him. He knew it was Gene, it was clear from the moment she had entered the room. His eyes had nearly glazed over, the sight of Gene having more of an effect on him than she had expected. It didn't change much for her, however.

Gene was shoved to her knees, with Harry knelt beside her and she felt Bellatrix's hands creep across her back, clasped around the back of her neck and tilting her head upwards.

She could feel the jinx wearing off, but not enough for it to completely disappear. Yet.

"Draco– come here, darling." Bellatrix spoke, and he separated from his mother, stepping cautiously forward.

He crouched before Gene and Harry, his eyes trailing over Harry briefly, before looking to Gene, his Adam's apple bobbing with nervousness, almost a glimmer of remorse in his eyes.

"Well?" she asked.

"I can't be sure." he returned quietly, before standing to his feet again and Lucius stepped forward.

"Look close, Draco. If we're the ones who hand Genevieve and Potter over to the Dark Lord, everything will be forgiven." he said, "Do you understand–" Lucius told him, a hint of madness and desperation to his voice.

As Gene looked more closely at him, her vision clearing and presenting the Malfoy's to her, she could see his red-rimmed eyes, the dark circles that had formed beneath their eyes, all three of them.

More so Draco than Lucius, but Gene found that Narcissa Malfoy could not look her in the eye at all.

"What's wrong with their faces?" Draco asked, pulling away once more.

Bellatrix looked to the Snatcher, "What is wrong with their faces, Scabior?" she asked.

"Came to us that way. I reckon they picked it up in the forest." Scabior shrugged.

"Or ran into a Stinging Jinx." Bellatrix's eyes flashed with something cruel, glancing at Hermione as she stepped closer, "Was it you, dearie? Check her wand. We'll see what the last spell was." she looked to another Snatcher, before her eyes hardened, "What is that?"

Her voice was quiet, yet murderous. She pushed past Scabior and Greyback, and Gene saw the Sword of Gryffindor in his grips, having stolen it from them. Gene's breath caught in her throat.

"Where did you get that!" she shrieked.

"It was in her bag when we searched her. Reckon it's mine now." he said until he was stunned, as quick as lightning and she caught the sword as it dropped.