20. WISH COME TRUE

She kept her head low as she followed Finn out of the Room of Requirement with Lorelai at her side, quickly making their way to the stream of Slytherin students that were marching, their faces blank, almost as if they were used to such training.

They slipped into the group undetected, walking alongside the rest of the students in rigid synchronisation, their backs straight and posture firm, in perfect rhythm.

Gene looked up briefly, only to find Blaise staring at her in disbelief. She gave a half-smile and winked before bowing her head again, finally entering the Great Hall where each House stood.

It was as silent as a grave, though the room buzzed with anticipation and dread as Gene caught a glimpse of the Carrow's stood at the very from of the Hall, while Snape stood before the students, his eyes raking the crowd sinisterly.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you here at this hour." he began in his familiar monotone drawl, "It has come to my attention that earlier this evening, Genevieve Fiordalis and Harry Potter were sighted in Hogsmeade."

Immediately, a murmured thrill filled the Great Hall, students glancing at one another, whispering in hushed voices, glancing at one another. She noticed how Maisy Reynolds and Jamie Ranthorpe trembled in the row in front of her, and she hoped they calmed down, in fear of inviting unwanted attention their way.

"I mention this in the hopes that truth will not be supplanted by rumour." Snape's voice rose by a few decibels to quell the whispers amongst the Hall. "For myself and a few select members of the staff this comes as little surprise. We have, for some time, considered Mr. Potter and Miss. Fiordalis' return to Hogwarts to be not only possible but inevitable. Consequently, in the past several months and under my specific direction, exhaustive defensive strategies have been employed to defeat any attempt Mr. Potter and Miss. Fiordalis might make to breach these walls. But know this. Should anyone– student or staff– attempt to aid Mr. Potter and Miss. Fiordalis, that person will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Rest assured: So long as I am Headmaster at Hogwarts, Harry Potter and Genevieve Fiordalis will never again step foot in this castle."

A long silence followed Snape's speech, with not even the Slytherin's bursting into applause at his words. Neville was right about one thing. Hogwarts had changed, indeed. Snape glanced around the room with contempt, seemingly disappointed that his words hadn't been celebrated, as the students glanced at one another nervously.

"If anyone here has any knowledge of Mr. Potter or Miss. Fiordalis' movements this evening, I invite them to step forward... now."

Snape's eyes travelled the entirety of the Hall, met with a dead silence and Gene could have sworn she saw his lip curl in anger. But it was her cue, and so, she squeezed Lorelai's hand once before pushing past her row, stepping out into the centre of the room, where Harry had joined her.

The crowds of students gasped, backing away and pressing their backs to the walls as Harry walked up to join Gene at the very front, where Snape began to back away.

"Hello, Headmaster." Gene said, undoing her robe and letting it fall to the floor. Snape stared at her, his gaze shifting between herself and Harry.

"It would seem that, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you have a bit of a security problem." Harry mused, while Snape stared in stunned disbelief, his head lifting as the doors of the Great Hall burst open.

Gene glanced over her shoulder, her smile growing as she watched the Order charge through the doors.

"And I'm afraid it's rather extensive." Gene winced before drawing her wand, pointing it firmly at Snape.