5. THE BRIGHEST STAR

Her eyes squeezed shut for a moment, everything black until a horn blared; and Gene's eyes shot open as she watched a double decker heading straight for them, before she was pulled backwards, her back hitting a metal railing.

Gene gasped for breath, her grip on the others tight as they rounded it, following Hermione as they rushed down the streets of what she realised was Central London.

"Where are we?" Ron asked, trailing further behind, his hand still wrapped around Gene's.

Hermione glanced over her shoulder at them, "Tottenham Court Road. Just popped into my head." she said quietly, as they weaved in and out of drunken strangers.

They hurried forward, each glancing over their shoulders at the dark shapes that moved amongst the crowd behind them, strangers faces passing in a blur. Hermione eventually led them down a dark alley, taking refuge in the shadows as she began to rummage through her tiny beaded purse.

"We need to change." she said, her arm reaching further into the bag and pulling out pieces clothing in quick succession, to their utter shock. She brought out four pairs of jeans, tops and light jackets, distributing them between the group.

"How the ruddy–" Ron began to mutter.

"Undetectable Extension Charm." Hermione cut him off, smiling a little as she caught Gene's eye. As she gave the bag a quick shake, they all hear a loud echo of heavy objects, as if something had fallen. "That'll be the books." she sighed lightly.

Gene went to get changed quickly, turning away for a moment until she realised her dress had been fastened with buttons, buttons that she couldn't reach on her own. As she turned to call for Hermione, she'd caught Ron's eye instead, already having changed.

She swallowed the feelings she had for him in order to say the words, "Could you–?" barely able to finish the sentence as she lifted her disheveled hair out of the way.

Ron nodded slowly, his Adam's apple bobbing as he stepped closer, his fingers moving to swiftly unbutton her dress. She felt his fingers graze the small of her back, choosing to ignore the way her cheeks flushed as he stepped away.

"Done." he muttered, turning away.

Gene quickly pulled a sweatshirt over her head, smelling incredibly familiar as she realised it was Ron's and she was glad for it. She had finished changing now, touching Ron's arm to let him know and they went on their way, leaving the damp alleyway and crossing roads to an all night cafe as it read on the neon sign.

It was empty as they entered, greasy and silent, almost awkwardly so, but at least it was empty. It would help to not to draw much attention to themselves, just in case. They took a seat at a small table, Gene beside Harry and Ron and Hermione opposite, their heads low and voices barely a whisper.

"Do you think everyone's alright at the wedding? Maybe we should go back–" Gene began to speak, her brows furrowed as she thought of Aurelia and Lorelai and Finn and–

"They were after you both." Ron cut her off, "We'd just put everyone in danger going back." he said quietly, a flash of sympathy across his features.

"Ron's right." Hermione nodded, her skin pale as Gene realised she must have wondered about Finn, just as a waitress made her way over, "Cappuccino, please." she said, as the waitress looked to the others.

"What she said." Ron gestured to Hermione. The waitress looked to Gene and Harry, who gave her a silent nod.

"So where do we go from here? The Leaky Cauldron?" Ron asked, glancing between them.

Hermione shook her head, "If Voldemort's taken over the Ministry, none of the old places are safe. It's too dangerous." she argued, and they realised she was right.