16. SHELL COTTAGE

"Do not get up, Genevieve," Fleur nagged at Gene, for what felt like the millionth time.

She groaned in frustration, though even that hurt her ribs and her chest and her throat and everywhere in between.

Fleur had been tending to Gene, Hermione, Ollivander and Griphook, switching between each room of the cottage for the past week, or so. It was growing tedious, especially for Gene, as she was bed-ridden under Fleur's orders.

"I feel fine." Gene muttered, sitting up further against the headboard as a knock sounded at the door. "You haven't got Hermione locked up in her room." she frowned.

Fleur scoffed, "That is because she can stand for more than five minutes alone," she raised an eyebrow at her before going to answer the door, which had been knocked on repeatedly for the last minute.

"Ronald, I have told you before, she is resting–" Fleur began, though Gene's heart leapt at hearing his name.

"Oh, come on, Fleur, please? Just one minute–"

"It's fine, honestly." Gene said, nodding. Fleur gave her a look of uncertainty, though it was quickly replaced with a faint smile, "He's alright." she returned the smile, watching as Ron entered the room.

"Hello, you." Ron came closer, pulling a small chair up to her bedside, taking her hand and enveloping it with both of his hands. His eyes were sunken in, red and watery, as though he had been crying.

Gene hummed in response, her head falling to the side as she looked at him closely, her faint smile never faltering. She couldn't quite bear to take her eyes off him, in case he disappeared from her sight.

"How d'you feel?" he asked softly.

"Fine." Gene nodded, though he looked at her disbelievingly.

She rolled her eyes at this before pulling her hand from his grip, holding it out before him. They both watched as her hand trembled, worse than ever before. Ron frowned, quickly taking her shaky hand in his and holding it securely in both of his again.

Then, his head dipped low, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand, and she felt her cheeks heat up at the gentle action. He looked at her with a smile, and she found that his cheeks hadn't reddened when she looked at him.

"The scar's healed over now," she changed the subject, nodding to her arm where her sleeve had fallen slightly. "Fleur's being dramatic. I am fine– really." she insisted, pulling the sheets from over her legs as they swung out, her knees touching his.

"She'll have my head if she sees me dragging you out of bed." he grumbled, helping Gene stand to her feet.

"I'll have to make do with the rest of you then," Gene returned, making Ron scoff, "How's Harry?" she asked, moving to the foot of the bed where her clothes lay messily.

"How do you think he is?" Ron asked and Gene sighed.

She hadn't seen him much, except from when he came to sit with her in the mornings. They would sit in a comfortable sort of silence, finding solace in the others company, as they often did. But Gene felt awful for him, because every time he would look out her window, he would see the vast ocean and empty beach, and Dobby's grave.

"Don't peek," she said, and before Ron could have even questioned her, she had already begun to undo the dressing gown she wore.

His eyes widened, stuck very still in his place before he realised what he was doing, and slapped his hands to cover his eyes, at which Gene did her best to stifle her laughter at. She shrugged on the jumper she had been wearing before, pulling her jeans up her legs before making her way over to Ron quietly.