8. IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE

They realised that they should probably get going, seeing as they didn't have a clue how much longer the potion would last them, and so they travelled across the atrium, catching an elevator before it departed. Ron pressed a button, and the grille began to shut before stopping halfway, a hand preventing them from closing.

Gene jumped, finding a man with platinum blonde hair tied into a sleek plait eyeing them carefully, before narrowing his eyes at Ron in particular.

"It's still raining in my office. Two days now." he said.

"Really? Have you tried an umbrella?" Ron returned.

Gene felt faint.

The man eyed Ron curiously, leaning forward menacingly, "You do realise I'm on my way downstairs, don't you, Cattermole?" he asked, though Ron didn't dare speak, "To interrogate your wife. If my wife's blood status were in doubt and the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement needed a job doing, I think I'd make it a priority. You've got one hour."

He let go of the grilles, allowing it to shut before storming off as the elevator suddenly jolted them all backwards, and their arms lifted above their heads to grab on to the strap.

"Oh my god. What am I going to do? My wife's all alone downstairs?" Ron said worriedly.

"Ron, you don't have a wife." Harry reminded him.

"Right." Ron realised, gathering his composure.

"Ron might not, but–" Gene grasped at his ID card, reading the name, "Reginald Cattermole does, and she's in danger. We have to help her." she said firmly.

"Look, we'll go with you–" Harry began to say, though Ron shook his head.

"No, you two find Umbridge. We'll be fine." Ron nodded, "But how do I stop it raining?" he asked, glancing at Hermione.

Gene tried not to show her irritation at being overlooked by Ron.

"Try Finite Incantatem." Hermione answered as the elevator voiceover spoke now, and they realised it was their level. "Good luck." Hermione muttered as Gene and Ron left the elevator, watching the two disappear.

They shared a wary look, not entirely sure of what was to come, but they decided in their minds that it would be alright, since they were together.
Gene and Ron walked the corridors alongside one another, her struggling to catch up in the tall heels that she wore, before they finally found the office.

CORBAN YAXLEY
Head of Department of Magical Law Enforcement

Gene swallowed thickly, nodding at Ron as he opened the door to the office, and they were immediately blasted with a spray of rain, to their shock. Gene rushed in after him, slamming the door shut behind themselves as she became instantly soaked, blinking through the heavy downpour to find Ron.

"Finite Incantatem." he said, waving his wand, though it barely made a dent as the rain carried on pouring.

Ron looked at Gene, shaking his head slightly as worry cast over his features. She moved away from the door, rushing toward him and closer to the grey cloud overhead that was behind the rain. She wracked her brain, wondering what spell she could have missed, before it came to her.

"Try Meteolojinx Recanto." she said, nodding assuredly.

Ron eyed her warily, causing her to roll her eyes at him before doing as told, and the patter of rain finally stopped. Gene looked up, watching the cloud slowly evaporate before them, and she looked at Ron, a smile breaking out onto her face which he returned.