21. WE'LL WIN THIS

She wasn't sure if it was the adrenaline that was moving her forward, or if it was the desperation to find her aunt, as Gene tracked the halls of Hogwarts, filled with students and staff trying to play their part in the fight.

It was daunting watching the children in lower years being evacuated, the older students comforting some and leading others away to safety. They were just kids.

"Fiordalis!"

A voice brought her away from her thoughts.

"Finn." Gene breathed in relief, bringing him close in a brief hug, "Have you seen Aurelia?" she asked.

"Last I saw her was with Remus and Kingsley, up in the towers." he nodded, and Gene brought him into one last hug, savouring it. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing." she shook her head. "Just... happy to see you."

Gene smiled, placing a hand on his upper arm before running in the opposite direction, where she caught a glimpse of Luna's white hair, and instantly ran for her.

"Luna!" Gene cried, pulling her to a stop.

Luna smiled, her skin marked with dirt and she bore some cuts and her clothes were a wreck, but still, she smiled.

"You have to find Harry. Please." she said. "He has no idea what he's doing." she said, breathless.

"Do any of us?" Luna returned. Gene had a feeling that she was already on her way to do exactly that, and she began to relax.

"I suppose not." Gene said, "Thank you." she gave a small smile.

Luna returned a much wider one, turning on her heel and skipping across the floor, as an explosion made it tremble beneath their feet. Luna ran on, unscathed. Then, Gene saw Fred, George and Mr. Weasley. Mr. Weasley did his best to smile, clapping Gene on the back.

"Gene!" another voice called her name, bringing her to a stop. Gene's eyes widened as she saw Tonks running for them, throwing her arms around her in a great hug, squeezing incredibly tight.

"Tonks? What are you doing here?"

Gene didn't bother hiding her annoyance as she spoke. In fact, she was somewhat furious as she joined them, pulling Tonks to a complete stop, while gesturing for the Weasley's to walk ahead.

"Gene–" Tonks still had a small smile playing on her lips.

"Your baby, Tonks." Gene cried in disbelief, "And Dromeda? What the hell were you thinking, coming here?"

Tonks snorted a laugh, looping her arm with Gene's as they continued to walk, except Gene still wasn't particularly happy with her. But the smile on Tonks lips was becoming rather infectious, and she couldn't deny she was glad to see her.

"You sound just like your dad, d'you know that?" Tonks' face screwed up.

"How's that?"

"You're both proper annoying."

Gene scoffed, shaking her head and feigning irritation, but now she had truly begun to smile.

"Teddy'll be fine." Tonks said.

Gene's head shot up, her heart melting at the name, and she felt tears coming on. She couldn't have even begun to imagine how Tonks must have been feeling, having lost her father and brought another life into the world.

And then there was Andromeda, and Gene soon found that there were far too many lives being lost, and she wasn't sure how many more she could bear.