19. WELCOME BACK

He bounded toward them with an equal look of happiness, throwing his arms around Harry first, and then Gene, who laughed out of joy and surprise and a warmth filled her chest, finding peace in the embrace of an old friend. He pulled away to hug Ron and Hermione each, before heading back towards the tunnel, as though this was normal.

"Neville, you look..." Harry's words died in his throat.

Neville just smiled, "Like hell, I reckon. This is nothing. Seamus is worse. You'll see."

Gene's mouth gaped wide open, because she didn't want to see at all.

"Hey, Ab. There might be a couple more people on the way." Neville said. They turned around, finding Aberforth standing in the doorway.

"Thank you." Harry said, and Aberforth gave them both a curt nod.

"Well– ready?" Neville said.

He lead them down the passage, a clear path made for them in the smooth earth, with gas-lamps lighting the way.

"I don't remember this being on the Marauder's Map." Ron murmured behind them, as they walked in twos.

"That's because it never existed till now. The seven secret passages were sealed off before the start of the year. This is the only way in or out now. The grounds are crawling with Death Eaters and Dementors."

Gene's skin crawled at the names, overwhelmed by a sudden chill that travelled throughout the tunnel.

"How bad is it, Neville? With Snape as Headmaster." Hermione asked worriedly. They were all equally dreading the answer.

"Hardly ever see him. It's the Carrows you have to watch out for." he said, and Gene recognised the names from an article in the Daily Prophet, months ago, "Brother and sister. They're in charge of discipline. They like punishment, the Carrows." he pointed to a deep gash on his face that looked fresh.

"They did that to you? What on earth for?" Gene asked, horrified.

"Today's Dark Arts lesson had us practicing the Cruciatus Curse. On first-years."

Gene and Hermione gasped outwardly.

"I refused. Hogwarts has changed." he told them, glancing over his shoulder to find their looks of terror, but he just grinned. "Aw, c'mon. Don't be grim. We're all used to it by now. And the thing is, it helps when people stand up, gives everyone hope. I used to notice that when you two did it. Come on, we're almost there."

They looked at one another, unnerved but somewhat moved by his words. Gene felt terrible for leaving her friends at Hogwarts, knowing all the horrors that they faced. It hardly mattered now, though.

Neville began to lead them up a short flight of stone steps toward a door, before pausing to look back at them.

"Let's have a bit of fun, shall we?" he grinned before pushing the door wide open, passing through it and they heard him call out, "Hey! Listen up, you lot! I've brought you a surprise!"

"Not more of Aberforth's cooking, I hope. Be a surprise if we could digest it." Gene heard Seamus say, and she smiled as Neville jerked his heard forward, gesturing for them to follow.

"Harry!" one voice gasped, "It's Potter!" another said, and as each of them dropped out of the portrait hole, their names followed. "Oh my God, it's Gene!"

"Ron!"

"Hermione!"

Cheers filled the unfamiliar room, bouncing from wall to wall as dozens of students bounded toward them, each enveloping the four of them in great, big hugs. Gene recognised some of their faces, but she didn't particularly care who she was hugging at that moment.