11. HAUNTED

Gene glanced at her reflection in the pot of water that sat in the middle of the bench, listening to the radio go from static to jumbled voices. Her eyes were sunken in, red and puffy from crying each night, her skin pale and lifeless.

It was the first time in two weeks that she hadn't frightened herself with her reflection. It was normal now.

The radio didn't bother her so much anymore as the weeks passed. It helped to fill the emptiness that was Ron's absence, and even Harry seemed to accept it staying on, perhaps out of pity.

They had noticed how Ron's departure had affected Gene, of course. Gene felt terrible, knowing that she probably kept them up every night, as she cried against one of his jumpers that he had accidentally left behind. Truthfully, it completely broke their hearts as they heard Gene cry herself to sleep each night, for last two weeks.

Each day never seemed to get easier, not for any of them.

Gene would spend her days floating about the tent, silently checking on Harry and Hermione, offering tea or food when she could, before leaving and sitting at one rock in particular. It was flat and smooth, close to the cliffs edge where she could overlook the vast ocean, taking in the smell of the sea. It used to remind her of home, but not anymore. Ron left her, and she forgot what home was.

"Gene." Hermione's voice was soft, carrying across the breeze and she welcomed it as she sat on the stone beside her, their bodies huddled together. "It's getting late. Do you want to think about coming inside?" she offered.

"I won't be a minute." Gene assured her, mustering a smile as she looked over for a moment.

Hermione wasn't surprised to find Gene's eyes reddened from how much she had been crying, her skin tinged pink from the cold, and her hands close to frozen solid as she took them in her own. Gene looked at Hermione for a moment, who had been admiring the view ahead, before resting her head against her shoulder; shifting comfortably so that she was closer.

"It wasn't him saying those things. You know that, don't you?"

Hermione broke the silence, causing Gene to almost flinch. They had specifically made sure not to mention Ron again, despite her thoughts revolving entirely around him as it was. Gene appreciated the gesture anyways.

"He– well... he loves you, Gene."

Her eyes shut for a moment, those four words making her stomach turn, and she wasn't sure if it was in the good way or not. She couldn't feel those butterflies fluttering about anymore, or her heart skipping a beat when she thought of him. She felt empty and hollow, but only because she was without him.

"You think I'm lying." Hermione breathed a short laugh. "If only you knew, Genevieve."

The use of her full name caused Gene to snort a small laugh unwillingly, the first sign of any laughter in weeks, making Hermione pull away to look at Gene properly, hoping to catch sight of her smile.

"You're a ghost without him." she said, sighing softly. "You love him too."

Gene felt her throat close up at this. She couldn't possibly deny it, she knew that much, but she couldn't confirm it either. Because if she had admitted to it, out loud and to Hermione, she would have broken down completely. Her heart truly would have been Ron's to break, and she would have let him, without a moments hesitation, because the only thing worse, was to be without him.

She stood up and offered a hand for Hermione to take, without a further word. Hermione followed suit, allowing herself to be lead back to the tent, hand in hand and they faced Harry, who mustered a small, guilty smile for Gene.