Chapter 12

The first thing she notices is Nayeon has changed into a white shirt and black pant suit.

Her traitorous heart forgets to be angry and starts beating faster.

"Will you go on a walk with me?" She extends her hand and Mina wants to say no. But she takes the extended hand and gets off her seat.

They're walking quietly, shoulders brushing gently.

It's a little cold and Mina shivers.

Nayeon notices and takes off her coat and covers Mina with it. It's a sweet gesture, one that makes Mina's inside turn to mush.

"Here we are." Nayeon stops before a pond. The view of the starlit sky and the reflection of the moon shining in the water makes the park look serene at night.

Nayeon looks at her watch. It's 11.59.

"Happy birthday!" She rolls the words gently out of her tongue.

Mina's gaze searches into hers. "What took you so long?"

"I have something to tell you and I wanted you to have the perfect day before I might probably ruin your mood."

Mina eyes soften when she realizes who gave her the perfect day. "You did all of this?"

Nayeon looks away, blushing. "I, uhmm, yes??"

Mina hates herself for being mad at her. She has flown the girls to Japan, booked her favorite restaurant, created an outdoor cinema for her. All this must have taken months of planning.

"Even the video?"

The blush deepens on the taller girl.

Mina takes a step closer. This pull between them, this is undeniable and she can't resist it any longer.

"Thank you." Her voice is thick with emotion and Nayeon finally looks at her.

Their eyes meet in a long, fond gaze. Mina's heart swell so much she wonders how she's still breathing.

Nayeon forgets that she is yet to say what she's supposed to. Under the moonlight, wearing a silver dress Mina looks breathtakingly beautiful.

"What?" Mina laughs shyly when Nayeon continues to stare and tucks a lock of hair behind her ear. She is not able to handle the butterflies in her stomach when Nayeon looks at her like that.

Nayeon shakes her head and briefly looks away, her cheeks reddening. She locks her gaze on the younger girl and begins in a shaky voice, "I had this long ass speech prepared."

She scratches her neck nervously, a trait Mina finds adorable.

"I even practiced it in the dorm. Chaeyoung suggested I pretend your pillow is you and talk to it, but even your pillow scared me." Nayeon chuckles as she rubs her forehead tenderly.

Mina doesn't interrupt. Nor does she look away.

"I practiced it for four days, and I forgot it all because you're standing in front of me and you look so beautiful and I can't remember a single word of that speech." Nayeon scratches her neck again and looks away embarrassed.

Mina thinks this is already the most beautiful speech she's ever heard.

"What did you practice for?" She asks gently as she takes one of Nayeon's hand in hers and laces their fingers together.

Nayeon takes a deep breath and continues to ramble. "I was practicing how to ask you to be my girlfriend. So Jihyo, google and all the girls helped me find the perfect speech which would express the depth of my feelings."

Mina heart grows even bigger.

Nayeon looks at her and slaps a hand to her face. "You must think I'm an idiot. Everyone thinks that. Chaeyoungah is right, you deserve someone better. "

Mina doesn't stop her ramble. It's cute and honest and it's so Nayeon that her heart won't stop fluttering.

"I had these big ideas and words to tell you how much you mean to me, how I can't stop thinking about you, like it actually hurts me physically when you're away. I miss you the second you step out of the door, how pathetic is that? Then I get angry when Tzuyu calls me a loser and calls my journal a loser as well."

"You sent those poems." It's not a question, it's a statement.

Nayeon nods shyly.

"And the flowers. "

She turns redder.

"And the coffee and the groceries."

She looks at the grass looking like she's waiting for it to open up and swallow her whole.

"The flowers and vines in my window."

Nayeon nods wordlessly.

"Why?"

Nayeon looks up hesitantly. "Because I love you. "

The words that mattered, the words she longed to hear from the older girl and have her mean it.

Mina's eyes glisten with unshed tears.

"And I wanted to say it in the most romantic way ever but I ruined it all by forgetting it. You deserve so much more."

Mina shakes her head with a teary smile.

"You make me so nervous Mina and I'm usually very confident." She brings their joined hands to her heart as if to prove her point. It's beating erratically.

Mina melts a little knowing she's the one who has that effect on the taller girl.

"I can't believe I ruined the most romantic moment I planned. I have a way of fucking things up." Nayeon shakes her head looking at the grass, as if she's talking to herself. She looks back up and stares at her for a long second. "God, you're so beautiful Mina! So beautiful and I've always thought of you that way you know. The first poem I wrote after meeting you was about you and I didn't even realise I'd been smitten instantly."

Mina remembers the poem. Every single word.

Stars in her eyes, the poem was titled.

She cups the taller girl's cheeks and breathes in her scent as she rests their forehead together.

"Three things." She begins.

Nayeon listens with rapt attention.

"You're definitely an idiot." She adds.

"Two, you did give the most romantic speech ever." Mina nuzzles their cheeks.

"Three, you still haven't asked me."

Nayeon releases a nervous chuckle. She pulls back slightly and looks into the dark brown eyes that always had her transfixed. "Minayah, will you be my girlfriend?"

Mina nods her head and places her hand on either side of the taller girl's face and pulls her in for a breathtaking kiss that has the rest of world fading away. It is slow and soft, full of love and promise. Nayeon's hand gently caresses her cheek as their breaths mingle. Mina pulls her closer until there is no space left between them and she could feel the beating of her heart against her chest.

The girls who are hiding behind a tree capture the picture perfect moment.

"She fucked up the speech." Tzuyu notes.

"Hers was better." Jihyo states as a matter of fact.