Chapter 13

"Oh, thank goodness you're here today." I hear as I walk into the school's gym. I'm a bit early, but I didn't expect only Yamaguchi to be here.

"Oh, hi." I bite my lip, I've been trying to avoid him and Tsukishima all day, but I knew it wouldn't work once practice started.

"You're practicing with us now, um, r-right?" He scratches the back of his head awkwardly, I just nod. "Cool."

We both walk over to the bench and I slip off my warm ups, leaving me in my spandex and tshirt. We both pull on our knee pads and change our shoes in silence.

"I'm really sorry about yesterday!" He suddenly bursts out saying, taking me aback. "I'm sorry about Tsukishima, he's just really worried about people finding out that we're...you know.."

"Gay?" I raise an eyebrow, looking at him. His cheeks flush and he looks away in embarrassment.

"Y-Yeah. That." He gulps. "Ever since we confessed our feelings to each other, he's been more on edge than usual. You catching us made it a lot worse, not that it's your fault though! He didn't sit with me on the bus, and I called him last night when I got home and he just yelled at me. All day he's been ignoring me too..." Yamaguchi sighs.

"Hey, it's okay. It's not your fault." I frown, knowing that he's probably blaming himself. "I wouldn't tell anybody, I would never be able to do that to someone."

"I really appreciate that." Yamaguchi looks at me thankfully. "You know how it is here...being gay is something people are barely starting to come to terms with. I don't know how the team would react. I don't want them to look at us any differently, but more importantly I wouldn't want anything to get in the way of Tsukki and volleyball. Despite his bad attitude, he really loves the sport. If anyone found out and reacted badly to it...I would feel so guilty."

"Being gay is not a bad thing, I'm sure the team would be very accepting of you both. If and when you're ready to tell them, I doubt they'll look down on it. You guys are all like one big family." I place a hand on his shoulder, he bites his lip, smiling a little bit.

"Thank you." He glances up at me.

"You're welcome." I chuckle. "Now, how are we going to fix our relationships?" I ask, this time making Yamaguchi laughing.

"You too?" He asks, I nod.

"Kageyama hasn't talked to me since what happened. I don't know why, and you know how he is. No one can ever know what's going through his mind." I let out a sigh, slumping against the wall behind me. "It hurts doesn't it?"

"Yeah, it does." We look at each other and chuckle.

"How is it with Tsukishima?" I ask. "I feel like he's always being mean to you." Yamaguchi smiles softly, looking deep in thought.

"He does have some attitude problems as well...but when he loves me I feel like I'm floating. When he calls me pretty, I feel like somebody. You know? How he is when we're alone...is a whole different Tsukki." I can't help but smile at his words. That's the same way I feel with Kageyama.

Slowly within the next couple of minutes, all of the Karasuno volleyball club members are bustling inside the gym, talking as they stretch with each other.

Practicing with them...felt great. It's intense and tiring, but I'm loving every second of it. I'm really grateful Ukai agreed to let me practice with them. We did various drills that Ukai had planned for the boys to help strengthen what he thought they need to work on, and then the practice ended with some conditioning.

I could feel the tension through practice, though the others didn't seem to notice. Kageyama was more irritated today than usual, but maybe they always see him like that. He and Tsukishima gave each other dirty looks all day and Yamaguchi got yelled at by Tsukishima more than usual as well.