Chapter 25

3 months later.

Say my name. Say my name. Please, say my name.

"And the last one is, Tomo Akita" The coach, Yui Michimya, a recent graduate of Karasuno, says and I freeze. "If I didn't call your name, unfortunately you did not make the team. You're welcomed to try out again next year." My heart drops to my stomach.

I didn't...I didn't make the team. I thought I did really well today...I got compliments the entire time, yet I didn't make the team.

"For the girls who did make it, please stay after so we can discuss positions. Everyone else, you're free to go." Yui smiles apologetically at some girls.

I hold back tears as I turn around. I trained so hard for the past 3 months...what did I do wrong? I finally got the courage to play volleyball again and I don't even make the team.

"Sakai Asami! Where are you going?" I feel Yui's hand on my shoulder. I turn around, surprised.

"Oh, um. My name wasn't called." I laugh awkwardly. She frowns and looks at her list of names, then flips through the pages.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." She laughs. "I wrote your name on a different list, I must have not been paying attention. We definitely need you on the team." She smiles.

I haven't heard those words in so long. My sadness is immediately replaced with joy.

"Seriously?" I ask, just to make sure.

"Oh my gosh, of course! Daichi had told me about you months ago! He said you were still thinking about trying out and that you're amazing. After seeing your performance today, I have to agree. I think you can be our ace!" She says excitedly. "Last year, we didn't do so well. I was a third year...but I feel like with you, and of course the other new players, we can go further!"

"I plan to try my best." I grin and she leads me over to the other girls.

"Okay, everyone take a seat." Yui says and we all do. "Rinko is the captain this year. She's a third year and also a returning player." Yui says Rinko waves at everyone.

"So, positions. First, to get it out the way, Asami is going to be our ace. Today she has shown incredible power in her spikes. She's a second year. Please welcome her with open arms." The girls start to clap and smile at me.

"What position would you like?" Yui asks me, holding her pen up to her notebook.

"Outside hitter please." I respond.

"I was hoping you'd say that. Your receives are also amazing, so that's a perfect position for you." She writes it down on her notebook. "Also, your sets are great as well, so I would like for you to be our backup setter. Aoki is out setter right now, as well as a third year." She says and we clap for her.

15 minutes later, all of our positions are set in stone.

"Our season doesn't start for a while, but we will be practicing until then. Your positions may change based on your performance." Yui looks at everyone and smiles. "Alright, you're free to go." She says and we all stand up, heading to our bags.

"Asami!" Yui calls my name and I turn around.

"Yes?" I ask.

"I'm really glad you decided the join the team. I think...I think we really could have used you last year. I'm excited for these next two years with you though. I think you're an incredible asset to the team." She smiles brightly at me and I grin.

"Thank you very much." I say, bowing to her before walking over to my things.

I grab my bag and rush into the club room, changing back into my clothes I was in before. Once I'm changed, I run out and head to the other gym as fast as I can. Once I step into the gym though, it seems like they're ending practice.