Chapter 18

Kageyama's POV

It's fine. We're going to be fine. All I have to do is go up to her and tell her how I feel.

I let out a sigh as I mentally prepare to see Asami. She's been avoiding me lately, taking different ways to school, going down different halls. But I still find her because she stands out the most to me.

I see her walking down the hall. She's wearing a turtleneck under her uniform and she looks so pretty..

I almost walk past her because I'm just staring. I quickly grab her arm, before she walks past me. She looks up at me, shocked.

"My bad." I say, quickly taking my hand away and shoving them into my pockets. "Can we talk?"

"Kageyama, it's fine. We don't have to. I completely understand everything now. Kiyoko said that you never loved me, and I seen you with your girlfriend on Friday? I think it was...yeah. Anyways, you don't have to explain anything. We're good, you don't have to tell me to get rid of my feelings this time. I'm already working on that." She says, giving me a smile but I can tell it's forced. I see right through her.

"Bye!" She quickly says and rushes off. I blink. What the fuck? What the fuck does Kiyoko know?

She's never even been in a relationship. How would she know how I feel? And girlfriend? Friday? What..what is going on? What did I do Friday?

I try to rack my brain for what I did Friday that would make her think I had a girlfriend. I can't even think of anything. This one girl did approach me when I was having an early dinner that day though...she came out to the balcony where I was eating and recognized me from the article that was written about me in middle school. She had asked if she can ask me questions about how I'm doing in high school and what I think will happen now that Karasuno High School is stronger.

But she's not my girlfriend! How did Asami see us? Was she taking a walk? Coming from somewhere?

Argh, this is so frustrating! I shouldn't have let her walk off...I wanted her to listen to what I said.

What do I do now? Maybe I need to accept the fact that it's over...no matter how much it hurts.

Asami's POV

For the next couple of weeks I hang out with Kuroo every day after practice. Ever since Kageyama approached me at school and I told him that I understand everything now, I've felt like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. We still don't talk, but at least it's not as awkward at practice.

"I'm tired." I pout, laying my head back down on Kuroo's chest. We're in his room right now, and I'm laying down on him. He's so comfortable...

"You're always tired." He laughs, playing with my hair.

"Life is tiring." I respond.

Kuroo is my comfort person. It just feels like we're both going through a lot right now, and we try our best to listen to each other's problems. We aren't dating, we both made that clear the day after he told me his parents were divorcing. We agreed to be each other's distractions. The one part of each other's day where we can pretend like nothing is wrong and that we're happy.

I spent a long time thinking about what being a distraction meant for somebody. What did it mean for Kuroo? I wondered if his definition of distraction was what we did that day...or even more. But it wasn't. Some days we just held each other to feel like we had someone, on other days it got more heated between us. The one thing I can't do is sleep with him fully. What we did before...I think that's as far as I can go.