18

"Hi, are you Hailey Upton?"
A doctor said tapping Hailey on the shoulder.

"Yes."
Hailey said standing up quickly from her chair

"So, Ava is stable, she has a very high fever, and we looked at some x-rays."
"She has..an appendicitis."
"Now don't worry,it's not a big procedure."

"Is she going to live?"
Hailey said gulping and tears formed in her eyes.

"Yes."

She looked back at Jay and he smiled.

"When can we see her?"
She said turning her head back to the doctor.
"Well she is currently in an x-ray."
"So maybe 30 to 40 minutes."

"Awesome,thank you so much."

"Sure,also there is one thing you might like to know, since we caught it early there is no serious complications,but if it is okay with you,we would like to test her for any cancers."
"Also the surgery has to be done,by as early as tomorrow morning or she could die."

"Okay." Hailey said not really understanding how tired she was not to understand that her foster daughter was going to have surgery in the morning.
"Yep, I will be there."
"Any paper work at all,I will sign it right now."

"Also visiting hours are up, you can come back tomorrow."
"I can't leave her."
"The best doctors in Chicago are here for her,nothing bad will happen that these highly trained doctors can not handle."

"Hailey,you probably should get some sleep, you have been in here nonstop for 2 days,hails you practically slept in the chairs in the waiting room."
Jay said walking up to stand behind her.
"It may be good to just relax."
The doctor added. "It takes off stress."

"Well I guess that's that,thank you."
Hailey said grabbing her purse,and Jay followed behind her.

Back at Jay's apartment.

"You know, she could have cancer."
"Gosh,I'm a terrible mom."

"Hailey,I'm going to say this once this is not your fault,there is nothing you could have done to know that she was hurting."
"Okay?"

"I'll make you some tea."
Hailey nodded and released some of the tension that she was holding up in her back.

He came back with the tea,and as soon as Hailey started to sip it,she became more and more tired as the tiredness took form.

"Jay,I'm gonna sleep right here."
Jay watched as Hailey finally got the sleep that she deserved, he carefully slid under her.
Stretching his legs out on the couch, he kissed her on the head,
"Love ya,hails."
He rubbed her back for a while,feeling the tension slowly go away in her muscles.

He protectively wrapped his arms around her,as she was on his left side in the couch cushions.
"Your my world."
He said as he finally succumbed to sleep himself.