CHAPTER ELEVEN

XI

 XI. FREAKING OUT OVER YOU

Natasha was in love. She just wasn't ready to shout it from the rooftops, much less tell Amara. She wasn't even sure it was love. They'd only been dating for three weeks, and it was probably just a strong like. 

She could deal with a strong like. Love, not so much. She would always back out when she was in love (or having stronger feelings than like), but she didn't seem to find anything worth backing out about. 

Amara was in the shower, and Natasha was laying on the bed reading a magazine (well, not really reading). The sound of the shower was a nice sound, and Natasha had woken up right after she'd gotten back from her run. Natasha could hear Amara humming as he showered, and it took all her willpower to stay on the bed. 

Amara came out with her hair wrapped in a towel, wearing a grey robe Natasha didn't know existed. 

"Hey ma Veuve," Amara says, sitting in front of Natasha. Nat leans forward for a kiss, Amara pressing their lips together. It's just a peck, but it makes Natasha forget all of her thoughts and doubts. Natasha had a very strong like for Amara, and that was that. 

Amara really liked Natasha. She was great for cuddles, kisses, and hugs. Natasha would gaze at her sometimes, Amara didn't say anything, she enjoyed being admired. The truth was, nobody ever said they'd loved her before and meant it. It scared her that things were starting to get serious with Nat and that Nat was going to block her out.

Amara had never been in a romantic relationship that she actually felt safe in. She'd been emotionally abused. Natasha was someone Amara wanted to hang onto, but she was terrified of heartbreak. She didn't want to lose Natasha. 

Amara opened the door to her closet and began to dig through it, humming to herself. Natasha looked at her fondly. She walked out of the closet, a red blouse with a teardrop cutout, and a pair of light jeans. 

"Are we going to that SHIELD party in a few weeks?" Amara asks. as she starts putting on some makeup. 

"Uh, sure." Nat flips another page in her magazine. She's already wearing work clothes, a black lace sleeved top, and some high-waisted jeans (they may or may not be hers they probably are though, but she wasn't completely sure).  "I think we should tell people," Natasha says. 

"What?" Amara asks. Panic begins to flood through her body. 

"I think that we should tell people about us." Natasha sounds sincere and Amara doesn't know if that scares her more. 

"Why?" 

"I mean why not? We're in a good place and we're starting to get serious. I think it'd be a good idea?" 

"What if we break up? then we have to tell people that we broke up!"

"Are you planning to break up with me?"

"No, but look at you! You're irresistible to both genders! You knock 'em out!" 

"Yeah but they're not irresistible to me, only you are"

"You're gonna wake up one morning and realize you made a mistake, that you want to be with someone better. I've done things, things I'm not proud of. Do you really want to be with this mess?"

"Stop Amara, I'm not gonna want someone better." I love you.  But she doesn't say it. She stands and walks over to Amara, turning her around in the chair (It was a spinny desk chair), and kissed her. 

The kiss was worth a thousand words, melting all of Amara's past doubts. Natasha was good at this, no doubt, and Amara was lucky as hell. Grateful as hell too, and she was ready to tell people if Natasha was. 

"We should probably go to work," Amara says, pulling away, and standing. 

"We've got ten minutes," Natasha says,  Amara just laughs. 

☾☼☽

Amara sat at her desk and was handed a file. She opened it, expecting a random person's file. When she opened it, she saw the name. 

Natalia Alianova Romanova.

The black widow

She looked closer and saw a sticky note. She looked at it and smiled slightly. 

I've done things I'm not proud of either mon Cheri. You're not alone. 

Nat

Amara was surprised. She didn't think anyone but Fury and maybe Clint had seen this file, and Natasha gave it to her. It meant a lot that Natasha trusted her with stuff like this. It was scary, Amara knew. It was scary to tell people things. 

Amara knew Natasha was an assassin, but she didn't know that she was this level of assassin. She wasn't scared though. She was willing to do anything for Natasha. No questions asked. 

AIn the break room, Natasha stood, drinking coffee with Clint, Maria, and Coulson. Amara walked in and stood next to Natasha. She took a deep breath. Natasha laced their fingers together and kissed the top of Amara's head. Everyone stops talking. 

"You two are-?" Coulson asks. 

"Yeah," Natasha says. "We're getting serious."

"Cool," Clint says. Amara was surprised. She thought they'd have a bigger reaction. Clint winks at her as if to tell her she chose well. Amara Agreed. 

"You know, I think it's cute," Maria says, taking a sip from her mug. 

"So do I," Natasha says. 

"You can't say that when you're in the relationship," Clint says. 

"I can do what I want." Clint glares at her. They all talk for a while, Maria noting that they'll have to bring Amara on their lunch dates, prompting Clint to ask about the lunch dates. 

Amara couldn't stop thinking about that damn file. Not what was in it, but the thought. Natasha wanted this to work out, and Amara would do anything to allow that to happen.