CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

XXVII

XXVII. MORE OF THE SAME

"you girls doing good?" Natasha mumbles from where she lays. Amara stood and walked over, brushing Natasha's sticky hair out of her face.

"You're gonna need a shower when we get home," Amara says. Natasha reached out and brushed Amara's face, with her hand, resting it on her cheek. Amara put a little weight on it and covered it with her own hand.

"Love you," Natasha says.

"Aw, you get sweet when you're a bloody mess," Amara says, taking a seat next to Natasha.

"Just when her fiance wakes up, she leaves me," Clint says dramatically.

"Yep," Amara says. Natasha laughs weakly, and Clint gives a fake glare. Amara links her fingers with Natasha's and falls asleep.

☾☼☽

"morning Tasha," Amara says, her hair was a mess in a halo around her head, the sheets were rumpled around her ankles, her bare feet fully exposed to all of the elements the room had to offer. She was attempting to rub the sleep out of her eyes, before grabbing her glasses off the bedside table. She usually wore contacts, but her eyes were hurting lately, and it's early. It had been a few days since they got back from the mission.

"You've never called me Tasha before," Natasha says.

"Do you not like it?" Amara asks. Natasha wraps her arms around Amara nuzzling her neck.

"I love it," She exhales, her breath tickling her neck. Amara moans, comfortable as ever in Natasha's arms. She could stay there forever, in her fiance's arms. Amara looked at her ring again, planning to go out and get Natasha one as well. Natasha was gently planting kisses on Amara's neck and shoulders. It was all part of their morning routine.

The same morning routine that would soon be changed.

☾☼☽

"Hey girls!" Clint says, too cheery for their own good.

"What do you want?" Natasha asks.

"Can you watch cooper for a few nights next weekend?"

"Where are you going?" Amara asks.

"We're gonna go visit Laura's parents," He says. "I'll be your best friend?"

"you lost that role when I met Amara," Natasha says. "But yeah we'll watch him."

"Oh my god, thank you," Clint says. "I was gonna have to have fury watch him and we can't have him running around bald with an eyepatch, covered in cat fur."

"Isn't Laura allergic to cats?" Amara asks.

"Yeah," He says.

"Alright, I have to go," Amara says. "Natasha is gonna stay here, but I gotta go to target."

"Love you," Natasha says, giving Amara a quick kiss.

"Love you," Clint says.

"I love you guys," Amara says. "Mostly you." She whispers, kissing Natasha's cheek.

"You missed," Natasha mumbles, kissing Amara.

"Mmkay, I gotta go," Amara says. She grabbed her purse and headed out, walking outside and a few blocks over.

"Your fiance came here," The shop owner says.

"Hey," Amara says. "How are you doing?"

"I'm good sweetie," She replies. "You looking for a ring for your special girl?"

"Yeah," Amara says. She was walking around when a ring caught her eye. It was a gold bezel set radiant cut. It was square and beautiful and perfect for Natasha. It was so subtly black widow, and Amara was obsessed. She was more obsessed with Natasha's ring than her own, but she knew it wouldn't really suit her.

She rushed home after grabbing the ring, thanking the owner, and heading back to the apartment. She used the elevator and walked inside, seeing Natasha reading a book on the couch, she seemed so peaceful. It was bliss. there was a slight breeze flowing through their apartment through an open window. Amara couldn't help but stand there and watch. She eventually joined Natasha on the couch, causing her to put her book down.

"How was the store?" Natasha asks between kisses.

"I need to ask you something," Amara says.

"shoot."

"Would you be at all open to having a baby with me?" She asks. "I know it's not physically possible to have a baby without a guy, but would you be at all open to having a baby?"

"I uh," Natasha says. "I can't get pregnant."

"Oh," Amara says. "I'm sorry. But that's the perk of having two women in a relationship, I can get pregnant." Amara laces her fingers with Natasha's.

"In the red room where I was raised," Natasha says after a moment. "They sterilize you. It's efficient. One less thing to worry about. It takes away the one thing that would be more important than a mission. It makes everything more practical. Even killing."

"That doesn't matter to me," Amara confirms. "I don't care about the red in your ledger. All I care about is you. The red room is not you." Natasha kisses her, tangling her fingers in her hair.

"I've never told anyone that before," Natasha says in a low voice.

"Thank you," Amara says. She was planting kisses along Natahsha's knuckles. "For telling me."

"and," Natasha says. "I would be honoured to have a baby with you."

"that settles it then," Amara says. "I want to marry you, so freaking badly." She pulls the ring from her pocket.

"Wow," Natasha says. "So beautiful." She takes the ring and places it on her finger, looking at it for a bit. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." Amara leans against Natasha's chest and takes her book in her hands.

"Read to me?" Natasha asks, lacing her fingers with her fiance's. Amara nodded and began reading. They were in for a relaxing night, maybe they would make dinner or get pizza later, but it was one of the last nights of relaxation, of chill uncertainty.

Because what was coming would soon change their lives forever.

☾☼☽

IF YOU ARE READING THIS AS A COMPLETE WORK: this is a mandatory rest stop. Stop, drink some water, get a snack, come back in the morning.